Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

overheating problem

86 TWIN BIRD
11-23-2005, 08:22 AM
i have a 1986 trans am and i just got it tagged last night and started driving it around well i stopped to pick my g/f up from work and good thing i was 30 min. early. Well i stopped and 3 of my friends pulled up behind me and then we all noticed my car was smoking bad. We got out and poped the hood and smoke went everywhere and wat was causing it was the antifreeze was boiling over the cap. i let it cool down and figured there was too much in it so i dumped some of it out and it was a lil under the full line. it was all cooled down and nothing looked wrong and my g/f was comming out so i just played it off like nothing happened. (she never noticed all the anti freeze o few parking spots down) Well i drove it about a mile then it happened again so i just drove home. Does ne1 know wat my problem could be? If i need to give more information about my car i will. Also the radiator was juts put in so was the antifreeze.

CreepingDeath94
11-23-2005, 05:13 PM
Check your fans...if someone forgot to hook them up or they were cut or something the car will overheat. In the morning once its cooled down again, check the level again and make sure its full. If those aren't the problem, could be a thermostat sticking...check those things first.

86 TWIN BIRD
11-24-2005, 12:26 AM
thanx the fans work perfect and the level of the antifreeze is right were its supposed to be. but u said sumthin about the thermostat, how would i check that and where is it at. I know its like $10 - $12 to get a new 1, atleast thats wat i heard. Alright thanx for the help

CreepingDeath94
11-24-2005, 09:42 AM
Follow the top radiator hose to the engine...where it connects to the engine there is a neck that fits to the hose. Under that is where the thermostat islocated. A quick check would be to see if coolant is flowing in the radiator when the engine is at temperature. Also, feel the upper radiator hose once its at temp to see if its hot.

86 TWIN BIRD
11-24-2005, 09:59 AM
alright thanx

ikeyballz
11-26-2005, 03:28 PM
yeah..careful opening the bolts on the thermostat housing..my dad busted a bolt in my 2.8 camaro...(Cuz it sticks if it keeps overheating) and...well, i had to pretty much glue + metal bondo the damn thing back.

Add your comment to this topic!