Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Looking for a head turner...

JLad10687
11-22-2005, 04:02 PM
I'm just looking for an old cruiser that will turn some heads. Speed is nice but I'd rather have the looks. What old cars(that i can find partly restored) for about $13,000 and be a daily driver.

curtis73
11-23-2005, 11:18 AM
Any of the slab-side or fuselage full-size mopars look killer in my book. The fuselage cars are the mid 60's cars with the concave side body panels and the slab sides are the early 70s cars with the straight, flat side panels. Maybe a 1971 Chrysler Imperial? You could probably find one in darn near perfect condition for less than $13k.

If you want to go older, early to mid 60s Lincoln Continentals are pretty nice. Its unique because of the rear suicide doors; even on the convertibles. Nice car, practical, and sexy.

Any of the 65-67 Pontiacs are favorites of mine. In particular the 65 Bonneville. Long and sleek with tons of chrome.

Any of the early 70s Cadillacs are head turners, albeit a bit "disco."

MagicRat
11-26-2005, 02:50 PM
1967 to 68 Ford Thunderbird.

These look great, with the full with tail lights, and full width grille in the front. Really cool!!
Also, no one knows what they are. They think its a Charger or something.

The 4 door versions had really cool suicide rear doors, but the 2 doors look sportier and are a bit shorter.

The Landau versions had great interiors with buckets, full gauges and a console.
They did have vinyl roofs that I am not such a big fan of.
The base model coupe has no vinyl roof, which looks better, but most came with a bad bench seat in front.
I have a '68 Landau with the vinyl top removed, the best of both worlds.

Also all '69's made after Jan. 1. 1969 came with the killer 429 cid big block, quite powerful when stock, and with a few tweaks is a real tire smoker power house.
The front and rear suspension is the same as a Galaxie so you can get great high performance suspension components, either stock police car stuff or aftermarket.

Look here and click on the photos:
http://www.oxford.net/~twings/1967cars.htm

The '69 Birds are almost identical and just as good, but had less attractive taillights and some came with a truly dopy looking 'Towne Coupe' roofline.

luvsvettes
11-26-2005, 07:15 PM
cant go wrong with a '50 merc

rollin_on13s
01-11-2006, 10:34 PM
Think Pontiac!!

The '65-'66 Catalina, 2+2, and Grand Prix are great cars.
They are still fairly plentiful on Ebay- and reasonably priced.

Most of the Grand Prix's were equipped with a 421 ci motor- they ranged in power from around 340 HP all the way to 376 HP.
This is in a car weighing not much more than a last-gen Camaro/Firebird.

They really have that crazy 60's swoopy styling too.

Adamsindrey
01-25-2006, 06:11 PM
Import! Triumph Dolomite Sprint! A real head turner as they were never sold in the USA yet there are now belived to be 6 over there.

Heres a lil info on them, Built from 1973-1980, had a 2 litre slant 4 that is also seen in the 70s saabs. First saloon car to have 16 valves (4 per pot), 0-60 in 8.7 seconds, top speed of 117 mph, economical, easy to have as a daily runner and very cheap. £3000 will get you an almost mint one

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/daddymack/blog/triumph_dolomite_600.jpg

stoned_pimp420
01-27-2006, 10:54 PM
Too bad you are wanting a car I personally like the 1960 Chevrolet Apache 10 Trucks but that may be due to being partial to them because I'm having a BITCH finding parts for mine that I'm trying to restore.

C2Z06
07-13-2006, 03:05 PM
Either a Cutlass or Oldsmobile convert from '68-72. With modern bushings vs the old rubber ones, anti-sway bars and new tire technology you can have a smooth ride, a real head turner and good all around performance to boot. With the right paint job and a cutom interior, you can have a heart stopper.

soviautos.com
07-24-2006, 09:10 PM
64 Buick Riviera baby!:naughty:
http://www.redeemer.on.ca/~cknowles/images/chrisriv.jpg

boarder_punk
12-14-2006, 11:32 PM
deuce coupe. 32 3 window ford, lose the fenders and the hood and drop in a small block with three 97's on top, doesn't even have to be close to restored to be cool.

phantomcobra
12-15-2006, 11:19 AM
For head turners, you either need to get a beautiful cherry car or one that isn't seen every day. The 60s Riviera is a good choice. Not many left on the road, so they attract attention. Although an old Mustang would attract attention if in great shape, there are so many, it isn't really a head turner. The 60s, early 70s Mopars can be an investment at the same time as fun to drive. Same with many Pontiacs/Camaro/Firebirds. May get a pretty good one at $13K.

Personally, I have a 66 Charger. I have not yet met another 66/67 Charger on the road (although I know there are about 10 within 50 miles of me). Many don't even know what it is because when you say old Charger, they think of the updated Dukes of Hazard style. There are normally 6 or 7 66/67 Chargers on EBay depending on whether you want a shell or nice running car.

I also have a 67 Chrysler Newport. Look on EBay and there are rarely any for sale and I've also never seen one on the road (since 1985 or so). There are only about 6 on CarDomain. I get more comments on this car than the Charger simply because they are getting SO rare to find running.

Bottom line, for head turners, get something you don't see often. Even if it is something as simple as a Datsun B210. With that car you can get 30 mpg city and 40 freeway at the same time!

Add your comment to this topic!