Service Engine Light

eastie boy
11-22-2005, 02:19 PM
Someone Please Tell Me Why The Service Engine Light Is Constantly On I Read The Computer May Misfire When It Becomes Low On Fuel Thus Triggering This Messege And After 3 Cold Starts It Should Go Off However It Is Still On So Befor Taking It To The Mechanic I Want To Know Is There Anything I Can Do To Try And Solve This Problem myself .thank You

Towncar
11-22-2005, 04:48 PM
Hi eastie,
Computers don't misfire, and low on fuel won't set off your CEL.

After a fault sets off your CEL, three starting cycles won't have any effect toward clearing the CEL.

There are some faults where 25 good running cycles will reset the CEL, at least that's what's supposed to happen however, whatever set off the CEL will most likely re-occur in those 25 cycles, sending you back to the first of 25 again.

If you just interested in clearing the CEL without finding the cause just disconnect your car's battery for about five minutes, then reconnect it.

The battery dis/reconnect has a downside, the "computer" will need to re-learn normal operations, and will cause your engine to run like shit for 10 miles or so. If the fault still exists, the CEL will light again.

If you're interested in what's causing the CEL light, or after you've cleared it and it returns, you can take the car to any auto parts chain store, most of them will allow you to connect their OBDii scanner and read the code(s) that caused the fault(s).

If this becomes a routine, you may consider buying a cheap scanner that can read/clear the CEL faults.

Plenty of online help is out there if you have specific fault-code questions.

sreilly77
11-29-2005, 08:57 PM
Someone Please Tell Me Why The Service Engine Light Is Constantly On I Read The Computer May Misfire When It Becomes Low On Fuel Thus Triggering This Messege And After 3 Cold Starts It Should Go Off However It Is Still On So Befor Taking It To The Mechanic I Want To Know Is There Anything I Can Do To Try And Solve This Problem myself .thank You

There is an easy way to get the Check Engine Light to go out, and then see if it comes back on:

1. Go under the hood and disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Go into the car and put your foot on the brake firmly and hold for about 20-30 seconds.
3. Reconnect the negative battery cable and then start the car.

The Check Engine Light should be out. Then, drive the car for awhile and see if the light comes back on. If it doesn't, the its fine. If it does come back on, see how long it took for the light to come back on and then let us know on here. Also, your saying that it comes on when the car is low on fuel. You should never let your car get under a quarter of a tank of gas. If so, you are allow all the junk, water, etc. in the bottom of the tank to go through the injectors and clog the system and make the car misfire due to irregular fuel flow.

sreilly77
11-29-2005, 09:02 PM
There is an easy way to get the Check Engine Light to go out, and then see if it comes back on:

1. Go under the hood and disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Go into the car and put your foot on the brake firmly and hold for about 20-30 seconds.
3. Reconnect the negative battery cable and then start the car.

The Check Engine Light should be out. Then, drive the car for awhile and see if the light comes back on. If it doesn't, the its fine. If it does come back on, see how long it took for the light to come back on and then let us know on here. Also, your saying that it comes on when the car is low on fuel. You should never let your car get under a quarter of a tank of gas. If so, you are allow all the junk, water, etc. in the bottom of the tank to go through the injectors and clog the system and make the car misfire due to irregular fuel flow.

I also noticed that you have a 1995 Lincoln Town Car. So do I. And I have used the trick I told you before about getting the check engine light to go out. It will definitly go out on your car then. Like Towncar said, after you drive the car for awhile see how long it takes for the engine light to go back on. If it is always coming back on in the same time frame, let us know. But like I said, never let your car get under a quarter of a tank of gas. But, once the computer re-learns, like Towncar said, then we'll see if the fault codes are true at the present time or are old. It is possible that the code you have might be a soft code, then again it may not.

boydee
01-12-2006, 07:18 PM

If you leave the car running while you are refueling it will (not every time) cause the light to come on.
Follow the instructions others have posted to reset the light.
Among other things, if your car is running "lean" it will cause the light to come on and should be serviced.
This information is true for a 2003 TOWNCAR (perhaps others as well)

Add your comment to this topic!