Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

$125 dollars for getting hit....

JLad10687
11-22-2005, 09:53 AM
Ok...I'm stopped waiting to make a left hand turn onto a different road. I see my opening so I start to make the turn. As I'm going through the turn I hear a bang and look in my rearview and some little fat kid on a bike ran into the backside of my car(about where the gas tank is). I get out of the way of the intersection and pull over. I look in my rearview and see the kid pick up the bike and walk it across the street and start to get on his bike. I recognize that the kid lives behind the house that I'm going and I know his parents so I'm not overly concerned and go to my friend's house. We were all down in the basement playing cards when there's banging on the door. We open the door and there's about 6 cops outside. I look to the street and it's lined with about 8 cop cars. Apparently two people saw it and said that I hit the kid and then sped off. They ask me what happened so I explain the whole thing to them and show them the small dent. They say I am going to be fined for leaving the scene of an accident. Instead of making a big deal out of it and getting insurance involved, I was just going to pull it out myself so I didnt call the police. In about 2 weeks I get the police report and discover that the same people that called it in as a hit and run were the same people that waved the kid along and told him to go...right into the back of my car. Needless to say, they are getting a brick through their window lol.

ATonyMac
11-22-2005, 11:06 AM
I'm sure your attorney told you you screwed the pooch -- you don't have an attorney??? YGBSM!!! Leaving the scene is a serious charge, (stooopid too), no matter how it looks from the comfort of the drivers seat looking backwards thru your mirror at the pedestrian you just hit. (The fat kid's attorney is gonna eat that up!) Dude, if I check my watch it's 2005, everybody is looking for an easy buck and the fat kid's dad is looking at several thousand of your bux, all he's gotta do is pick it up.

THESE DAYS, SOME PEOPLE CARRY A DISPOSABLE CAMERA IN THEIR CAR TO KEEP THE OTHER MF FROM LYING. Doesn't really matter if the thing doesn't work, like Christmas, it's the thought that counts. And maybe it will work and save your butt, or you can use it at someone else's scene and sell them the pix.

Chevy4life1985
11-22-2005, 11:28 AM
Yea i agree with Tony. You cant hit a kid and leave regardless if its your fault or not. If it was the kid next door why didnt u go over to his house after the incident and talk to his parents and him? No offense but that was stupid thinking on your part.

Chevy4life1985
11-22-2005, 11:29 AM
Oh and you might want to find a good lawyer. FAST!

drunken monkey
11-22-2005, 12:17 PM
did you check mirrors and over your shoulder to see that nothing was coming from behind?

JLad10687
11-22-2005, 12:56 PM
Its over now...I did talk to his dad. Its just bullshit I got fined for it. He left the scene before I did.

JLad10687
11-22-2005, 12:59 PM
And I didnt hit him...he ran into the back of me.

copcarcrzy
11-22-2005, 02:17 PM
well Jlad.. I doubt its over with, just keep thinking that till the process server shows up at your work or home and serves you court papers syaing your being sued for emotional distress, and since you most likely paid the fine, without pleading no contest, that means you pled guilty.. so you admit to the facts the officer found..

and the fact he ran into you DOESNT matter, YOU left the scene..

GOOD LUCK

drunken monkey
11-22-2005, 03:08 PM
just because he ran into you doesn't automatically make it his fault.
if you were aware of his presence, after all, if he was that far away that you couldn't see him then chances are he wouldn't have hit you, then you wouldn't have pulled out.

so is it that in this case, the kid on the bike let you get off more easily for pulling out dangerously?

not trying to start an argument; just playing devil's advocate to high-light something that you might not have thought of.

JLad10687
11-22-2005, 03:45 PM
No...I saw him, he was stopped. then, two people waved him on and he ran into me instead of riding with his head up. And it is over, it happened in the summer and I have since talked to his dad. They were thinking of suing the people who waved him on, as was I(for repairs).

JLad10687
11-22-2005, 03:54 PM
And...on the police report...it even stated that the fat kid struck me. I wasnt listed as the at fault person.

fredjacksonsan
11-23-2005, 09:21 AM
Liability is clear in this case, he ran into you. Important thing is he was not injured; you've also spoken to his father, who is ok with the situation. The police report shows you are not at fault.

The only thing remaining is the damage to your car. You could probably collect from the kid's parents, but that would be shitty considering that they're being cool about it.

Valuable lesson learned, should be end of story.

JLad10687
11-23-2005, 11:41 AM
Yea...thats why I didn't make a big deal of it. I was more pissed about the people who waved him on.

fredjacksonsan
11-23-2005, 11:42 AM
Yea...thats why I didn't make a big deal of it. I was more pissed about the people who waved him on....then called the police on you. Bastards.

JLad10687
11-23-2005, 03:38 PM
Not just that they called the police, but they called it in as a hit and run even though I stopped and saw him get on his bike.

fredjacksonsan
11-23-2005, 09:30 PM
Well, they're shitheads. Case closed.

:icon16:

regalfriend
11-25-2005, 12:20 AM
Leaving the scene of an accident is a misdormeaner. Leaving the scene of an accident w/ injuries is a felony. In NYS........ If you stopped and checked to see if he's ok, and he said yes, and he left. You still should have called the cops and have them file an incident report. He could go to the Hospital days later and say he got hurt in this accident. At this point your charges could be upgraded to a Felony. Always try to have a report, by the cops, even if the other people say everything is O.K.....

Add your comment to this topic!