Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Buying new brakes on budget, Calipers are too much

Dyno247365
11-21-2005, 11:37 PM
I was looking at summitracing.com and they sell some very nice rotors. I also need new calipers, plus I'm converting the back of my Iroc-Z to discs, so 4 rotors for 400 sounds like a good deal. Then the only calipers summit sells are roughly 200 each, so that's 800 and over my budget.

Is there anywhere else to get a disc conversion and new calipers from for less expensive?
Thanks

Genopsyde
11-21-2005, 11:41 PM
ebay perhaps?

Dyno247365
11-22-2005, 12:15 AM
ebay perhaps?

Just checked ebay, the problem is that you can't find enough 'new' stuff and most is used, being auctioned to make any profit they can.

I was wondering if there's another site like Summitracing that sells new calipers and rear conversions. And if someone's done the rear conversion, what did they buy?

Just checking to make sure I don't have to settle for these $400/pair calipers.

Genopsyde
11-22-2005, 12:28 AM
jegs?

Dyno247365
11-22-2005, 01:45 AM
jegs?

Jegs doesn't have anywhere's near cheap caliper setups(1k+) Not saying they aren't nice. I can't figure out for the life of me why summit only sells one caliper brand. I guess I'll look through all of the generic suppliers like JC whitney, Rock Auto. Someone reply with a setup next, I'll handle the surfing. Thanks for your prolonged support Geno :thumbsup:

supervisor1886
11-22-2005, 02:02 AM
maybe get some used ones from a wrecked corvette?

Link85x
11-22-2005, 12:34 PM
Or even better, get a rear end that already has discs, that conversion is a lot easier to do, and could be cheaper. As long as you look in the right places. I got lucky and found a 94 Trans Am rear for $100, including everything. Aluminum calipers, rotors, almost new brakes (does that make any sense?), pretty much new posi and 4.10 gears. One of the best investments I'v ever made. One man's trash was another one's treasure.

Dyno247365
11-22-2005, 01:17 PM
Or even better, get a rear end that already has discs, that conversion is a lot easier to do, and could be cheaper. As long as you look in the right places. I got lucky and found a 94 Trans Am rear for $100, including everything. Aluminum calipers, rotors, almost new brakes (does that make any sense?), pretty much new posi and 4.10 gears. One of the best investments I'v ever made. One man's trash was another one's treasure.

Thanks supervisor and Link, I don't have the time to look through a junkyard right now but it's not so much a priority now, so I could go later in the week.

Looks like I need to do more research to figure out how many things I need for my brakes, like lines, the hardware..hope I don't need a new steering knuckle... When a rotor is pictured with the lugs, does that mean it comes with the lugs and lugnuts or no? The stock rotor was one piece.

Add your comment to this topic!