Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

2003 Yukon Denali Xl rear disc brake removal

ftp
11-22-2005, 12:14 AM
Has anybody replace their rear disc brakes? I am trying to do this and what I tought was the screw that will take out the caliper was not. I have done a lot of brake jobs but this one stumped me. Anybody have a link I can go to to see the diagram or maybe tell me which bolt to take out. I see 4 bolts. 2 small ones by the caliper (which I tried to take out but it just keep turning and turning without coming out and 2 big bolts that looks like that holds the assembly.

I tried going to google but can't find any pictures of the rear brakes assembly.

Thanks in advance for any help.

pogy
11-24-2005, 11:54 AM
Those two bolts that keep turning are your caliper bolts. Insert an open end wrench next to the rubber boot inside the bracket. Then they will come out, remove the calipers. Make sure you tie the calipers out of the way so there is no pressure on the lines after you remove them. The caliper brackets are the large bolts, take those out and remove the brackets. If your removing the rotors, unhook the emergency brake line under the drivers side and unhook the cable from the back of the rotor. The rotor should come off, that emergency brake shoe is on the outside edge of the rotor housing, easy, seldom any ridge. Also, when everything goes back together grease the pad slides and back of the pads (no rattles). Torque all to correct pounds. If you need more information let me know, I have had mine apart several times, adjusting the emergency brake and replacing the shoes. Hope this helps.

ftp
11-28-2005, 01:11 AM
Pogy, Thanks for the information. I'll check that as soon as I get the car idle. Since you mentioned adjusting the emergency brakes, The reason why I am changingf the pads is because the emergency pedal is all the way to the floor when you step on it. I thought the easy way to adjust this is to replace the pads since they are already half done. If I can't get this pad replace any soon (the weather is getting a little too cold, how do you adjust the emergency brakes.

Oh by the way, are you a filipino?

pogy
11-29-2005, 12:16 PM
[QUOTE=ftp]Pogy, Thanks for the information. I'll check that as soon as I get the car idle. Since you mentioned adjusting the emergency brakes, The reason why I am changingf the pads is because the emergency pedal is all the way to the floor when you step on it. I thought the easy way to adjust this is to replace the pads since they are already half done. If I can't get this pad replace any soon (the weather is getting a little too cold, how do you adjust the emergency brakes.[QUOTE]

The e brake works similar to the e brake on most cars with rear drum brakes.. with that in mind... jack up the rear of the car...remove the wheels...then remove the bolts for the calipers...then the calipers and pads...you will see the caliper bracket.. it has two bolts that hold this to the brake backing plate.. they are very very tight... but they will come off Once the bracket is off you can remove the rotor ( make sure the e brake is not engaged ).....Next.. you will see how the system works.. it has a shoe brake .. and the rotor has an internal drum. Now locate the star adjuster.... turn it out to make the shoe grow in diameter. I did ten clicks at a time and the slid the rotor back on.. I did three sets of ten before I could feel any drag... I then clicked five more and could not get the rotor on...I then backed off two clicks and got the rotor on.. it was tight when I started it on the shoes but when i finally seated it it was perfect.. I then did the other side. I then put everything back...Now for the test... I took the car to a hill... set the e brake .. car in neutral and it stayed there.

Note: The above information was received from the Corvette Forum (Evil-Twin). It worked great for my Yukon and Corvette. :)

Add your comment to this topic!