vaf

car dud
11-21-2005, 08:21 PM
what is a vaf sensor and what does it do?

car dud
11-21-2005, 08:48 PM
what is a vaf sensor and what does it do?
I also have a p0103 code. I don't know what that means?

GMMerlin
11-21-2005, 09:22 PM
Its not a VAF..its a MAF

Here is what it does
The mass air flow (MAF) sensor is an air flow meter that measures the amount of air entering the engine. The powertrain control module (PCM) uses the MAF sensor frequency signal in order to provide the correct fuel delivery for a wide range of engine speeds and loads. A small quantity of air entering the engine indicates a deceleration or idle. A large quantity of air entering the engine indicates an acceleration or high load condition. The MAF sensor has an ignition 1 voltage circuit, a ground circuit and a signal circuit. The PCM applies a voltage to the sensor on the signal circuit. The sensor uses the voltage in order to produce a frequency based on inlet air flow through the sensor bore. The frequency varies within a range of around 2,000 Hertz at idle to about 10,000 Hertz at maximum engine load. DTC P0103 sets if the PCM detects a frequency signal higher than the possible range of a properly operating MAF sensor.

car dud
11-21-2005, 10:59 PM
Its not a VAF..its a MAF

Here is what it does
The mass air flow (MAF) sensor is an air flow meter that measures the amount of air entering the engine. The powertrain control module (PCM) uses the MAF sensor frequency signal in order to provide the correct fuel delivery for a wide range of engine speeds and loads. A small quantity of air entering the engine indicates a deceleration or idle. A large quantity of air entering the engine indicates an acceleration or high load condition. The MAF sensor has an ignition 1 voltage circuit, a ground circuit and a signal circuit. The PCM applies a voltage to the sensor on the signal circuit. The sensor uses the voltage in order to produce a frequency based on inlet air flow through the sensor bore. The frequency varies within a range of around 2,000 Hertz at idle to about 10,000 Hertz at maximum engine load. DTC P0103 sets if the PCM detects a frequency signal higher than the possible range of a properly operating MAF sensor.
the obd clearly states that it is a maf/ VAF.

InGeneius
11-22-2005, 09:28 AM
Mine was just replace in my 2001 crew cab (69K miles), it is located between the engine and the air filter. about $550.00 including the labor. It was coroded and pitted like it got water in it from a Pressure washing (dealer) or maybe the oil from the engine oil cooler lines that leaked (replaced last weekend $46/00) before going into the radiator got sucked into the Air Cleaner Duct. Or maybe it's from the faulty raditor coolant (Dex?) that is my radiator coroding everything that it is in touch Heater core, (replace at 68,5K miles), water pump. intake gasket, Radiator, that is a factory defect but nobody is talking about that. Never buying a GMC product again

car dud
11-22-2005, 09:12 PM
I bought my gmc in 98 and a side from the normal I have 180k miles before a tune up. I would say that was very good

Add your comment to this topic!