Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 Ford Windstar Overdrive Light Flashing

sodadude
11-21-2005, 05:35 PM
My wife just reported the following problem to me. So now I guess it's my problem! This just started happening today.

When she goes over 55MPH, she is getting a warning light about the transmission, and the overdrive light comes on and will not shutoff.

Does this sound familiar to any of the techs on this website?

I changed the battery last Sunday, November 13th, is it possible I disturbed something in that area that is now causing the problem?

Just a thought............

wiswind
11-21-2005, 06:48 PM
If the O/D light on, that is an indication that the Overdrive is disabled. There is a button on the end of the shift lever to enable or disable the overdrive.
However, the light should either be ON or OFF all the time....not just over a certain speed.

Mine glows very dimly when the headlights are on.

If the O/D light is FLASHING....it is indicating that there is a problem with the transmission. You will need to get those codes read. A dealer, or some shops can read those codes. It is like a "Check Engine Light"....only it is for just the transmission.

sodadude
11-21-2005, 07:32 PM
I asked the wife again when it happens. Ok. No overdrive light is on.

At 55mph check transmission warning comes on and the OD light flashed continuously.

Get the codes read, right?

wiswind
11-21-2005, 08:38 PM
Yes....you will need to get the transaxle codes read.

sodadude
11-23-2005, 06:59 AM
I changed the battery last Sunday, November 13th, is it possible I disturbed something in that area that is now causing the problem?

Just a thought............

On page 170 of my Ford Windstar manual it says the following:

When the battery is disconnected or a NEW BATTERY IS INSTALLED, the transaxle must relearn its adaptive strategy.

Now I am wondering if I should disconnect the new battery, and take the van for another drive?

wiswind
11-24-2005, 11:13 AM
If you disconnect the battery, and leave it disconnected for 15 minutes, it will clear the codes and the "adaptive" information. It will not hurt anything, but my guess is, that it will not correct the problem. But it is cheap and easy to do.
It will also clear your radio station presets, and your clock.

sodadude
11-24-2005, 07:25 PM
If you disconnect the battery, and leave it disconnected for 15 minutes, it will clear the codes and the "adaptive" information. It will not hurt anything, but my guess is, that it will not correct the problem. But it is cheap and easy to do.
It will also clear your radio station presets, and your clock.

Thats what Im saying. Maybe I didnt drive the vehicle correctly or fast enough after changing the battery so the transaxle could RELEARN its adaptive strategy?

sodadude
11-29-2005, 01:06 PM
Took the van this morning to a Cottman Transmissions franchise. The electronic scan revealed the following code: PO741.

Description was torque converter clutch system is sticking off.

Repair quote was 1400.00 and would need van 3 to 5 days, labor intensive I was told.

Wiswind, or anyone else, what say you?

wiswind
11-29-2005, 04:01 PM
$1400 for a repair....I would be looking seriously at a quality rebuilt unit with a warranty. Yes...it is more money...but I would hate to see you back on here with another tranny problem a month or so from now. I would be guessing that most of the $1400 is labor.

sodadude
11-29-2005, 05:45 PM
But it doesnt tell me what to do or how to correct it?

http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/tsb.php/m-FORD/d-WINDSTAR/y-1999/t-03123

lewisnc100
11-29-2005, 07:11 PM
You can get a subscription to alldata.com to get the specifics, but you won't find any quick fix in that TSB. Its basically runs you through the entire diagnostic procedure including 15 possible causes for the torque converter to not engage.

wiswind
11-30-2005, 06:08 PM
I just looked up TSB# 03-12-3 for 1996-2003 windstar (and others)....which is a re-release of TSB# 98-6-5..... to add additional causes for the DTC codes P0741 and P1744.

First.... The Torque converter must fail to engage 5 times in order to set one of these codes.

They call for some specialized scan equipment to troubleshoot with.....

Second...they list a whole bunch of things that can cause the failure.....most all require tearing into the transaxle (more than a pan drop) to even see.

sodadude
12-01-2005, 06:47 PM
I just looked up TSB# 03-12-3 for 1996-2003 windstar (and others)....which is a re-release of TSB# 98-6-5..... to add additional causes for the DTC codes P0741 and P1744.

First.... The Torque converter must fail to engage 5 times in order to set one of these codes.

They call for some specialized scan equipment to troubleshoot with.....

Second...they list a whole bunch of things that can cause the failure.....most all require tearing into the transaxle (more than a pan drop) to even see.

Thanks for the info wiswind.

Add your comment to this topic!