Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Dont know what it is......

Viper04
11-20-2005, 11:46 PM
I have a 1988 Toyota Camry V4 with 183k miles, has a new altenator and battery but thats it for the new parts. Just recently I have noticed that my car seems to be using more gas than it should be. For example I drove about 5 miles today and went from a quater tank to empty in just that short amount of time. just a few minutes ago I was leaving and I started my car and it was a 2 rpms while in park and there was a wierd smell coming from front of car but then stopped. Dont know what to do.......

Any help please!!!!!!!!
Thank you

Brian R.
11-21-2005, 08:04 AM
You must have a loose fitting in your gas line or a hole in the tank. Look under the car with the engine running and see where the drip is.

If it's a tank problem (drip under the trunk), you'll probably have to replace the tank. Bring it to a mechanic and have them fix it.

Also, check your oil level. If it is way high, your fuel loss is probably from an injector and it is getting into your crankcase. Don't drive it. Change the oil once you have figured out which injector is bad. Find the one that isn't ticking when the engine is idling. If they're all ticking, pull the plugs and see if any are wet. That would indicate which cylinder is bad - replace the injector.

Add your comment to this topic!