Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Aftermarket fuel rails?

Jerryx
11-20-2005, 11:40 PM
Does anyone know if some kind of aftermarket fuel rails are available for the 3.5? (Preferaby made of metal and with a better way of attaching the steel tubes to them.)

After 2 sets of leaky ones, I'm very reluctant to try the factory rails again.

(Actually, I'm very reluctant to buy another Chrysler product again!)

cj091184
12-04-2005, 04:37 AM
no I have not seen any aftermarket ones but I do agree that it is the one of the worst designs I have ever seen, they should have made them with the flange nuts used on brake lines, would have.....worked. Anyway, short story, I went to the dealership to get new o rings cause nobody sells them, and neither do they, they said that they can only sell them alredy in the fuel rail...."due to saftey issues", bah humbug, $500 blah. So I went to the hardware store and got some regular o rings they are not shaped to fit, no flat edges, anyway they fit in rather tight and I have not had any leaks since. But once more I really don't like the design of this engine, good engine bad design on the shapes of the parts, you can't even take out the spark plugs without removing the intake plenum.

Jerryx
12-04-2005, 09:54 AM
I've read somewhere that you can get the o-rings without the rails, but I have not tried it myself. The cost for the o-ring kit is $39. The kit has 2 o-rings for each injector, and 4 smaller o-rings for the steel tubes at the ends. I had the part number written down somewhere, but lost it. I'll post here it if I find it.

Right now I have a massive leak at the back of the engine where the steel gas line goes into the fuel rail. It's as if there is no o-ring in there at all, and the gas comes spraying out. I will try a regular one and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, I was thinking about removing the plastic rails, then drilling and tapping the ends where the steel lines come in. Then I could thread in one of the aftermarket compression fittings and use short lengths of aftermarket fuel hose.

The last thing I'd try is machining my own fuel rails out of aluminum billet. Make them look like the plastic ones but with better fittings on the ends. But this would be a very big a job.

It's a great engine, but as you said, it's very difficult and frustrating to work on.

Jerryx
12-04-2005, 04:43 PM
I found where I read about the o-ring kit.

The part number is 05069022AA at the dealer, $38.

For what it's worth...

cj091184
12-05-2005, 12:22 AM
I like the idea about drilling out the factory fuel rails and using compresion fittings, but instead of getting different fuel lines I'd try just flanging the steel lines that are there and screw them in with the compression fittings. I think it would work.

"once again a tree is perfect, anything made by man can and will crash and burn"

Jerryx
12-23-2005, 06:08 PM
Just found the problem--a leaking o-ring around one of the injector tops. It was pinched and leaking. For $7 I bought an o-ring kit at Harbor Freight. There was a size that was almost exactly right. Replaced it it and it's running fine. Used the o-rings supplied in the Mopar kit to on the tubes going into and out of the fuel rails. Now it's running fine with no rough idle, and no gas leaks. Yes!

Now I have to fix my other Chrysler products...

Thanks to all who helped with this problem.

Add your comment to this topic!