Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

1994 grand prix trunk clicking & opening

daq50
11-20-2005, 04:35 PM
Hi
we have a 1994 Grand Prix, it recently has been making clicking noises at the trunk and popping open by its self. Really strange. The keyless remote has never worked. We purchased the car used. I have also had problems with the key getting stuck in the iginition had it fixed about a month ago. Prior to having that fixed, the auto locks also were clicking and the trunk would pop open. We call this car the haunted car. Has anyone had a problem like this. My mechanic didn't even know how to deal with it. He thought maybe it was a circuit switch that just needed
to be turned off. Thanks for any help

rbsteve
11-21-2005, 02:28 AM
Is the clicking coming from the lock mechanism or further back in the trunk. I believe that your car uses torsion bars to open the trunk. Maybe they have become degraded and are wearing out causing the clicking type noise. Just an idea.

-Steve

daq50
11-21-2005, 07:26 AM
Is the clicking coming from the lock mechanism or further back in the trunk. I believe that your car uses torsion bars to open the trunk. Maybe they have become degraded and are wearing out causing the clicking type noise. Just an idea.

-Steve
Yes I believe that the clicking is coming from the lock mechanism.
The car is not even running and this happens. It is my daughter's car and she is away at college so it sits in the driveway much of the time. Why would it just start clicking on it's own without even starting the car.
I though maybe someone in the neighborhood has a keyless remote that some how interferes with the electronics of this car when they use it! Because this only happens randomly. It's a crazy thing!

richtazz
11-21-2005, 11:20 AM
does the car have factory keyless entry or an aftermarket system? If you're not sure about whether it has factory keyless entry, give me the last 8 digits of your vin and I can tell you. It sounds like a malfunction in the factory receiver, as it controls the trunk and door locks.

daq50
11-21-2005, 06:19 PM
does the car have factory keyless entry or an aftermarket system? If you're not sure about whether it has factory keyless entry, give me the last 8 digits of your vin and I can tell you. It sounds like a malfunction in the factory receiver, as it controls the trunk and door locks.

Yes I think it is factory but just incase here's the last 8 digits o fthe vin # RF323278. I'm not sure if it is the remote. Because we never use it. As I said the trunk just opens up by its self. I just happened to notice because one day I was standing besides the car and I heard this clicking for about a few minutes and the truck lid just popped open. Thanks for the help.

Add your comment to this topic!