Any potential in the 1.5?

carbon mirage
11-19-2005, 10:34 PM
I have a 2001 mirage with a 1.5L engine.I have body kit carbon fiber hood,dash,spoiler,oil cap,and exhaust tip.I also have short ram intake. Now my question is with all that nice stuff can the 1.5 engine back up the look??I've considered swaps but why do that?When you can buy a Eclipse GST or GSX, then build and bore it. Anyways would header,hi flow cat,alumnium flywheel,underdrive pulley,ect. be any benefit?? Or is it even worth it??Would the little 1.5L blow all to pieces with all this?? Anybody try beefing 1.5L's up?? Thanks for any help, Jacob

evoryda
11-21-2005, 12:47 AM
umm yeah. its worth it if you have the money to build it. but if you dont HAVE THE PASSION FOR A 1.5 MIRAGE, dont waste your time cause all youll do is complain and end up badtalkin rages, i love the 1.5 and will never talk bad about the performance cuz yea it IS a small motor with small numbers but if you take the time the do it right, nobody you know will have a ride like it, IMO civics, integras, eclipses ect are pretty much useless when it comes to fixing up cuz everything is in front of you and everybody has them done, not that exciting any more ya know. so why not build it and suprize some people at the light ....A header, hi flow cat, and 2 inch cat back exhaust is a good start off, RPW makes 2 good headers(street and race) for the 1.5s, dont go to ebay, they say it fits a 1.5 and 1.8 thats all BS, they dont know the parts. Ractive and OBX racing has a hiflow cat, the ebay ones will fit too. and i got a local muffler shop to do my exhaust, just buy a muffler you like and take it to them, get 2 or 2.5 inch press bent, they should charge around 80-90 bux to do it. nobody make tranny parts for the 1.5 and the underdrive pulley is not made yet either. give it a couple more months RPW may build one. there are turbo kits, up to stage 3 ported and polished heads, up to stage 4 camshafts(in turbo grinds too), cam gear, valve springs, bigger throttle bodies, dual throttle bodies, individual throttle bodies, and piggy-back ecus and they have stand alone ECUs for the 1.5 now!!! pistons and rods(custom made) ALL at www.rpw.com.au and of course there is NOS. i have a lots of stuff im/ive doin/done to mine. i had NOS but replacing with a TURBO yeaaaaaahhh, with a FMIC, rpw stage 2 turbo cam, cam gear, valve springs, FPR, bigger injectors, apexI s-afc, 2.5 exhaust w/ hiflow cat. planning on gettin a head ported as much as possible, have some rods and pistons made later next year and upgrade fuel and spark. thats my whole outlook on the situation. :evillol: :iceslolan

evoryda
11-21-2005, 12:57 AM
OH YEA AND I HEARD PLENTY OF MITSU MECHS SAY THE MIRAGE MOTORS ARE HARD TO BLOW AND ARE PRETTY STOUT. but that doesnt mean they wont blow, i know a guy with NOS he blew several motors. :grinno: b/c advanced timing and NOS are a BIG NONO. if you need any mirage tuning help PM me ill be happy to answer anything i can. later Jeremy

carbon mirage
11-21-2005, 08:31 PM
I really appreciate it y'all! Like you said,everybody has hot eclipse,VR4's hondas ect.But nobody in my whole town has a hot mirage! There is only
two here to my knowlege, one is stock (auto), the other just has rims! I'm not sure the direction I will go with mine.I might go the RPW route sounds interesting and a whole lot cheaper than a swap. Thanks Jacob

carbon mirage
11-21-2005, 08:37 PM
What size rims would you go with on a mirage?I want to use 17" rims but I don't know how wide to go before scrubbing the strut tower.Would 7" wide be too much or should it be 6"?? Let me know if any of you know. I need to get me some rims for mine but I needed to know for sure what the get. Thanks Again! Jacob "Carbon Craze"

evoryda
11-22-2005, 07:29 PM
most are using 16 or 17 inch, couple 18s. im on 17s with 205-40 tires, they dont rub at all.

130n3rd
11-29-2005, 09:55 PM
I have a 2001 mirage with a 1.5L engine.I have body kit carbon fiber hood,dash,spoiler,oil cap,and exhaust tip.I also have short ram intake. Now my question is with all that nice stuff can the 1.5 engine back up the look??I've considered swaps but why do that?When you can buy a Eclipse GST or GSX, then build and bore it. Anyways would header,hi flow cat,alumnium flywheel,underdrive pulley,ect. be any benefit?? Or is it even worth it??Would the little 1.5L blow all to pieces with all this?? Anybody try beefing 1.5L's up?? Thanks for any help, Jacob
Yeah a 1.5 liter is a hell of a motor because we had one and totaled it but now where gonna put the 1.5 in a eclipse.1 reason is you can give those 1.5s hell and they never tare up.But you see the gsx blow up all the time have you ever seen a mirage blown up.But ours is totaled and it well still start up.Keep working on it but nos is not a good Mod for a 1.5 if yu just have bolt ons if i was you i wouldnt tare the engine down just put on headers,exhaust,and mabey a turbo off a 1.8liter mirage or a eclipse gsx.and another good mod is Cry c02 DEI makes this product go read up about it.

evoryda
12-04-2005, 01:25 AM
:eek7: ummmmmmmm yea, heres a couple for you, 1 NOS IS a good upgrade for the 1.5 with JUST bolt-ons,(nos brand) if you read the manual it says, NOS performs better with freerflowing exhaust, and of coarse better with a k&n filter b/c of well more flow. 2 there is a 1.8 turbo motor from the rage but not in the US. 3 even though there is a 1.8 turbo motor, it wouldnt fit on a 1.5l. why? you ask. 4 well the manifold to head mounting points are different, as for the eclipses too, if you wanted a turbo you would have to drop the header idea cuz it just cant work that way. :disappoin why not search before you talk, its makin you look silly. if you have any Qs ill be happy answer them for ya 130n3rd. AND NO COMMENT ON THE DEI CRYO2 :lol:

needhp17
08-10-2008, 01:18 AM
i got 17's on mine looks really cool but it rubs when im turning in reverse idk what to do??

wiredog
09-01-2008, 06:19 PM
ive got a 1.5 turbo mirage yes is possible. I installed a t3 turbo boosting 10psi, the hard part is to make or find turbo pistons. i had to get mine hand made, and also boaring the block to its max. but i got it all done and even a intercooler installed, a bosh fuel regulator, and it runs great and it sure is a sleeper when racing. but my question is what kind of spark plugs and fuel pump will be best to get more horses?so i can boost more. And i got 17s on my mirage and thei wide tires and they never gave me issues and they actually gives you better traction.

needhp17
09-01-2008, 09:29 PM
as far as spark plugs try looking into pulse star plugs. They produce way more and can actually give you hp but their expensive for our car its$25 each

Add your comment to this topic!