Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Questions about my new 2000 WS6 Trans Am

kahuna7
11-19-2005, 07:34 PM
Well my dad bought a Black 2000 Manual (6spd) WS6 Trans Am yesterday. It has 53,000 miles and cost us $17,500.

I rode with him today and he floored it in first gear. He nearly lost control of it. This car has so much power! My only gripe about it is that it doesn't have traction control. I just need to learn how to drive a manual now.

1. What is the best method to get the full power out of the car without just spinning the tires? Get going in first, switch to second and then floor it?

2. How does the shift skip thing work? Can this be removed?

3. Right now the car is completely stock except for the K&N air filter. What mods would you get for the car?

4.If possible, would you recommend having TCS installed in the car?

Thanks

1FASTws6
11-19-2005, 08:10 PM
1 Well i have a slp loudmouth in my 98 t/a 6 spd AND IT SOUNDS AWSOME. ESPECIALLY DOWNSHIFTING IT SOUNDS LIKE ROLLING THUNDER. u could get headers but i hear its way to raspy. Ask Mr. Luos he actually took of the system cause it was to raspy. I also hear its to loud. Then look into a lid, and an LS6 intake. then w/e u want really.

2 Skip shift is easy. Its a plug in item sold by differant companies. its only $30.00 AND U CANT JUST REMOVE IT. U hafta buy the skip shift eliminator.

3 TC is nice. I have it on myne. Its always on. I dont no if u have the cash and want it go ahead. I would recomend it becasue at a light if u take off to fast ur gonna cause attnetion to urself. Verrrrry helpful in wet weather. again its all up to you.

4 Power im not sure. I take off slow in first then nail it in 2nd and hear to loudmouth ruble. Prett much the same in all the gears.

Ok now i spent 5 min typing this to u i hope u kinda got a little info in which direction u should go. I hope i helped u a little and again we can only say so much but the decision is urs on wut and wut not to buy. LOL IM NOT AS XPERIANCED AS SOME OF THE OTHER GUYS HERE. IM A NEWBIE.

tuske427
11-21-2005, 10:16 AM
First of all- congrats on the F-body purchase!

To answer your questions...

1- a lot of people will slip the clutch some to keep the rpm's up yet not have total spinning out. I only tell you this because this is what they do. I wouldn't reccomend doing it a lot because you will drastically shorten the life of your clutch. As for taking off, I'd reccomend practicing driving it on back roads until you get the hang of it. a good set of sticky tires will help. you can always roll into the throttle so you're not shocking your drivetrain- causing the wheels to spin.

2- the "CAGS" (computer aided gear selector) is merely a solenoid that is built into the transmission. under part throttle conditions the computer engages it- blocking the second gear. it forces you into 4th . you can shift into 4th, then immediately back out, but this is a pain. See my other reply for a cheaper way to solve this than the 30$ kits.

3- If I were you- I'd practice driving the car and controlling it first before you worry about getting more power out of it. If you're almost losing control now, what good will more power do you? Master what you have first, then go from there.

4- I don't think you need a tcs. learn to drive it. go to a performance driving school if need be. Driving skills will serve you much better than any traction crutch like a tcs.

good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!