Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

04 malibu maxx front axle seal

hillboy
11-19-2005, 03:07 PM
Dealer says front axle seal is leaking, right at 36,000 seems early for that type of problem. Anyone with similar problems? Thanks any info.

wpbharry
11-20-2005, 06:02 AM
I haven't had that problem, but don't have the miles you have. Wait to see if anyone else chimes in, but I think yours is the first I've heard about with that issue. Hope warranty covers it.

hillboy
11-20-2005, 07:35 PM
I haven't had that problem, but don't have the miles you have. Wait to see if anyone else chimes in, but I think yours is the first I've heard about with that issue. Hope warranty covers it.

Thanks for the reply. I did turn up a bulletin on axle seals but not much info.

hillboy
11-22-2005, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the reply. I did turn up a bulletin on axle seals but not much info.

As info, dealer replaced on warrantee, no hassle. So far this dealer is the best ever for service and easy to deal with. Hope they can make it past the GM mess.
Mech. mentioned it was no uncommon problem.

JSvob03
11-26-2005, 10:14 PM
Funny.

My G/F has an 04 Malibu Classic (same Eng/Tranny).

I also have an 04 Malibu Classic.

I just had her axle seal (L/F) replaced (under the warranty), cause it was leaking. I checked my car, and sure enough, its got gobs of leaking AT fluid. (not under warranty...geez).

RATIFIED
11-28-2005, 11:44 AM
My wifes Malibu Maxx just had its replaced at 32000 miles. Maybe a design flaw??

hillboy
12-11-2005, 11:49 AM
Dealer says front axle seal is leaking, right at 36,000 seems early for that type of problem. Anyone with similar problems? Thanks any info.

Haven't checked this post in a while. As info the seal replaced(right front) on warrantee is leaking already. Will be replaced again by dealer.
I would advise anyone with this car model check for leaks. Spots on ground will tell.
the problem is also that there is no dipstick to check level of fluid so ignored leak can lead to bigger problems.

hillboy
12-11-2005, 11:53 AM
Funny.

My G/F has an 04 Malibu Classic (same Eng/Tranny).

I also have an 04 Malibu Classic.

I just had her axle seal (L/F) replaced (under the warranty), cause it was leaking. I checked my car, and sure enough, its got gobs of leaking AT fluid. (not under warranty...geez).
JSvob03... I would push dealer for a replace under warantee unless you are way over. I never had to replace a front axle seal on 30yrs of front wheel drive cars.

wpbharry
12-12-2005, 07:57 AM
FYI. The Malibu Classics have nothing to do with the regular Malibus. They're an entirely different breed. Also, Maxx has the 3500 V-6; Classics have the 2.2L Ecotec 4-banger.

Classics are the renamed previous generation Malibu, which was EXTREMELY problematic (I should know as I had one for 6 years).

The current generation Malibu/Maxx was all-new for '04.

JSvob03
12-13-2005, 03:53 PM
FYI. The Malibu Classics have nothing to do with the regular Malibus. They're an entirely different breed. Also, Maxx has the 3500 V-6; Classics have the 2.2L Ecotec 4-banger.

Classics are the renamed previous generation Malibu, which was EXTREMELY problematic (I should know as I had one for 6 years).

ok, let me clarify. The 04 and up NEW STYLE malibu's have both the ecotec(except for maxx), and the 3.5 V6.

The classic, as you said, is ecotec only.

The only other problems i've had thus far would be the Strut mount, and brakes. All of these problems are inherited from the previous (97-03) malibu.

Hopefully this ecotec and drivetrain lasts longer than the Quad 4, or the 3100. Both had their fair share of problems.

hillboy
12-15-2005, 08:17 AM
Just to complete the story. The dealer replaced the seal again. First replacement failed to seal. This time it looks to be working fine.
From start to finish, dealer was great. "OK, no problem we'll fix it."
I think most people only look for fair treatment.

No tranny dipstick is pretty dumb, I have to say, but the dealer didn't design the car. If it wasn't for new garage floor and snow where I park, I would not have noticed the leak until the tranny was empty (or whatever level it would start to stumble.)

Thanks

bcopeland
01-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by wpbharry

__________________________________________________ _____________________

Say what? The Malibu Classic has nothing to do with the previous generation Malibus? Excuse me! That's news to me.

slls
01-02-2006, 12:39 PM
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by wpbharry

__________________________________________________ _____________________

Say what? The Malibu Classic has nothing to do with the previous generation Malibus? Excuse me! That's news to me.

They should have given the 04 and up new style Malibu a different name, look at all the confusion.

hillboy
11-26-2006, 09:48 AM
Any thing new on this?

Sodium
11-19-2007, 03:37 PM
Took my 2004 Malibu to the dealer yesterday 71K miles
Both L/F axle seal and R/F axle seal are leaking. Mechanic pointed me to blue seals where the leak starts and mentioned it is not an uncommon problem.

Add your comment to this topic!