Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Check Engine Light

munruss
11-19-2005, 11:51 AM
How are you? I have a Mazda 6 with the four cylinder engine. The check engine light is on. First, how do I reset the computer (disconnect battery)? Second, if I bring the car to Auto Zone to see what the code is, where can I find a list of codes? I went to the library to get the service manual, but they didn't have anything.

Thanks a lot...

~Russ

Ignisuti
11-23-2005, 09:31 AM
I went to the library to get the service manual, but they didn't have anything.

Thanks a lot...

~Russ

I couldn't find a Chilton's or Haynes manual either. I was told that those two companies have combined and are now fighting over who gets to publish which cars... Anyhow, I ordered myself a repair manual that I found on eBay. It comes on CD which I prefer over having a physical book.

mazdatech177
11-23-2005, 01:04 PM
auto zone wont be able to pull the codes, the 6 uses a controller area network between all the control modules on the vehicle, most generic code readers wont communicate with it. just take it to the dealer man, itll be cheaper in the long run i promise

MazdaX
11-29-2005, 03:19 AM
What kind of issues are you having when the CEL comes on ? Air, Fuel, Starting, Running, Shifting, Guages act funny- anything like that ? The more information you give, the better we can help.

mazdatekchubyninja
11-30-2005, 10:05 AM
lol listen to mazdatech177 over 400 things could cause the cel to come on. your car might still be underwarrenty and it wouldn't cost you a thing to fix. But to answer your question we see alot of evap codes cause by evap purge valve / evap pump/valve.

rjitzsu
12-11-2005, 06:47 PM
they're right.

unless you're over your 5 yrs or 50k warranty there's no reason not to go to a dealer.

there are a couple evap codes related to pcm software upgrades, and several other codes related to faulty evap purge solenoids.

mazda 6's have a very complicated can system that can only be accurately diagnosed with the proper mazda equipment.

take it to a dealer.

mazdatekchubyninja
12-24-2005, 01:56 PM
Everyone has to remember that the 3s and 6s uses Fords electronic with are pretty shitty. I see at lest one or two a day with faulty purge valve or evap pump going bad. shit i even seen one with only 56 miles with the engine light on. Fuck I'm going to be broke doing all these bullshit warrenties. Fuck a Ford

AG_nismo
07-26-2006, 06:42 PM
Don't forget to that it couldbe the gas cap being not tightened down all the way. I see that all the time in the shop with 6's.

Urthona
06-15-2007, 06:19 PM
unless you're over your 5 yrs or 50k warranty there's no reason not to go to a dealer.

there are a couple evap codes related to pcm software upgrades, and several other codes related to faulty evap purge solenoids.

Yeah, I'm having the same issue with my 2004 Mazda 6 and it *is* out of warranty. It's been running flawlessly with one exception. For the last 6 months the check engine light has come on about once a month (usually about half way through a tank of gas). Every time I've taken it it's been the same evap code. Had the thing re-set half a dozen times, had the gas cap replaced, but it's starting to get a little stupid. It's be like paying the dealer $50 a month to flip a light swtich.

Any alternative fixes would be helpful.

Add your comment to this topic!