Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Driving without front driveshaft?

goldjeep99
11-18-2005, 12:05 PM
Can I drive my Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4X4 without the front driveshaft?
I believe it should be OK, but want to confirm...

Gold

teemsta
11-18-2005, 07:05 PM
i have a 94 jgcl 5,2 with the 249 tc. it has a bad .vc. and i take my front driveshaft off in april and put it back on in nov for the snow season. have'nt had any problems since i started doing this 2 yrs ago. been meaning to change from a 249 to a 242 tc

jeeperphil
11-19-2005, 09:55 AM
I made the change from 249 to 242. I rebuilt the 242 first. I rebuilt several 242's and 249's since. Ive yet to see a reason for removing the front shaft to be a problem.

goldjeep99
11-19-2005, 03:18 PM
teemsta...

This means that is easy to take off and put it back on?
can I do it myself without taking out the t-c/tranni support?
Thanks... That is a relief.
Gold

dksob81
11-19-2005, 04:06 PM
I have been driving without my front driveshaft in my 94 5.2L 249 since about June and ahven't had a problem except for the rolling when parked on an incline, you will have to remember to use the E-BRAKE when you park.

Yes it is easy to remove and re-place , just remeber to mark the yoke on the Front Axle and the U Joint on the driveshaft and the yoke on the TC and U joint on the rear part of the driveshaft so you put it back on the right way, if not you may have some driveshaft vibration. I used my angle grinder and grinded a slot right across the yoke and U Joint on the front and rear of the driveshaft and axle yoke and TC Yoke, so when I need to put it back on just line up the marks and bolts together.

teemsta
11-19-2005, 10:28 PM
exactly what dksob81 said.... its only 8 bolts 4 in front and 4 in back of shaft. i always forget to mark mine but have had luck with no vibrations when i put it back on. and yes your jeep will tend to creep away slowly when parked on an incline. so make sure you make it a habbit to use the e-brake.

jeeperphil
11-21-2005, 08:03 PM
is the creeping in park due to the vc in the 249 or will all models do this. if the tranny is in park i can't see it rolling unless the vc allows the slip.

dksob81
11-22-2005, 07:51 AM
well I am not exactly sure why it does this, but it is only in the 249 TC and it really doesn't have anything to do with the VC.

I will try to come up with a better explaination.

goldjeep99
11-23-2005, 10:03 AM
Well,
Got my JGCL back from Cottmann Transmissions. They tried to scam me out of $2000 worth of uneeded spares. I asked them to put TC back together and try to find me a frnt driveshaft. They could not find one and put old one back in. Noise was unbearable. Got home, took it out with my son and have been driving without it for two days uneventfully.
I found a used one for $100 (new is $520+tax) which I will pick up this afternoon.
Thanks to all. You have been very helpful.
Gold.

dksob81
11-23-2005, 11:34 AM
Well,
Got my JGCL back from Cottmann Transmissions. They tried to scam me out of $2000 worth of uneeded spares. I asked them to put TC back together and try to find me a frnt driveshaft. They could not find one and put old one back in. Noise was unbearable. Got home, took it out with my son and have been driving without it for two days uneventfully.
I found a used one for $100 (new is $520+tax) which I will pick up this afternoon.
Thanks to all. You have been very helpful.
Gold.

What problems are you having that you think you need a new DRIVESHAFT?

goldjeep99
11-23-2005, 12:16 PM
First, took the driveshaft out and noise is completely gone. Second, inspecting the driveshaft, the rubber boot covering the rear c-v joint was melted away and beraings are completely exposed and with no grease. Unlike the front c-v joint, movement is uneven and rough... I think beraings are gone!
Gold.

Add your comment to this topic!