Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Amps and high powered headunits....

SilverY2KCivic
05-30-2002, 02:39 AM
I'm looking to get an Alpine CDM-7874 headunit to replace my stock AM/FM unit, since it's starting to die on me (after 2½ years, it's failing, strange). So anyways, my question is this, the Alpine HU is rated at max power of 50w x 4 channels. So if I were to get an amp that puts out say 40w x 4 channels, would I be better off just using the headunit power, since it would be 10w higher? Just something I was wondering about. :bloated:

kicker1_solo
05-30-2002, 03:25 AM
no, HU power is much weaker than amplifier power. The 40 watts from the amp would be louder and better than the 50 from the HU. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I'm pretty sure, anyone can back me up on this? :)

sparq
05-30-2002, 06:18 AM
j00 are correct my friend.

Amplifier power is far better in every aspect then HU power... even if your HU says 50x4 -- a 40 rms x 4 amp will actually be putting out about twice as much power overall... and CLEANER power then a headunit as well.

SilverY2KCivic
05-30-2002, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by sparq
j00 are correct my friend.

Amplifier power is far better in every aspect then HU power... even if your HU says 50x4 -- a 40 rms x 4 amp will actually be putting out about twice as much power overall... and CLEANER power then a headunit as well.

Thanks Sparq and Kicker. But now my question is, how much of a difference would I notice sound wise between amp power and HU power?

igo4bmx
05-30-2002, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by SilverY2KCivic

Thanks Sparq and Kicker. But now my question is, how much of a difference would I notice sound wise between amp power and HU power?

you head unit will run cooler and if you get a good amp, the sound will opf course be much better than a head unit's amp

93speed
05-30-2002, 10:03 AM
The headunit amp will begin to distort as you turn it up higher. An amp will manage the signal better and thus give better sound quality at higher volumes.

CXHatchback
05-30-2002, 10:29 AM
You just have to make sure the amp isn't some pyramid crap and when it's 40x4, make sure it's 40x4 rms. If it's max power then yes, you're probably better off just using your HU. If it's rms, then it's going to be twice the wattage your HU is putting out.

igo4bmx
05-30-2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by CXHatchback
You just have to make sure the amp isn't some pyramid crap and when it's 40x4, make sure it's 40x4 rms. If it's max power then yes, you're probably better off just using your HU. If it's rms, then it's going to be twice the wattage your HU is putting out.
you must also check the amp class, and THD for issues of sound quality. better brands = better SQ

Add your comment to this topic!