Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

over heating 97 grand am

racer77
11-17-2005, 08:27 PM
my 97 grand am se 2.4 started overheating the water was coming out of what looked a runnoff hose, coming out of the firewall. my fans are working and don't see any broken hoses or leaks. I'm going to try to change radiator cap, then my thermostat, if anyone knows other simple things i can check before going to a mechanic, i would really appreciate it.

bigbadrat
11-17-2005, 08:33 PM
the water u see coming out of the rubber boot is from the ac drain.ur heater core is blown or has cracked tubes.it is time for replacement of that.thats why u r overheating.a new heater core is just about 30 or less and is a easy replacement.if u need help on how to replace just ask me.

racer77
11-19-2005, 07:00 PM
the water u see coming out of the rubber boot is from the ac drain.ur heater core is blown or has cracked tubes.it is time for replacement of that.thats why u r overheating.a new heater core is just about 30 or less and is a easy replacement.if u need help on how to replace just ask me.

Thank you for your quick response. I bypassed the heater core and capped off the two hoses. It started to overheat.i'm gonna try the thermostat. I'll let you know if i figure out what the problem is. Thanks again.

racer77
11-20-2005, 08:21 PM
Thank you for your quick response. I bypassed the heater core and capped off the two hoses. It started to overheat.i'm gonna try the thermostat. I'll let you know if i figure out what the problem is. Thanks again.

I bypassed the heater core and I believe that is the problem. I am going to replace it. I have a book but what do you think is the best way to get to it/start?

bigbadrat
11-20-2005, 08:40 PM
well it isnt to bad but the room u have to work on it.under the dash dead center behind the dash,u will see the lower heater box that has a removable cover.u have a vent cover over it which has i believe 3 bolts holding that up.after that then u have 6 bolts to remove the cover.2 r against the firewall,2 r just up from the firewall and 2 r right on the front corners on the cover.once that is removed then u have 2 small clamps hold the heater core in which has 2 bolts each.once they r removed then the heater core is ready to fall out.then just reverse the process and u will be on ur way.should take u about 1 hour or so.

let me know how u make out

racer77
11-21-2005, 02:21 PM
well it isnt to bad but the room u have to work on it.under the dash dead center behind the dash,u will see the lower heater box that has a removable cover.u have a vent cover over it which has i believe 3 bolts holding that up.after that then u have 6 bolts to remove the cover.2 r against the firewall,2 r just up from the firewall and 2 r right on the front corners on the cover.once that is removed then u have 2 small clamps hold the heater core in which has 2 bolts each.once they r removed then the heater core is ready to fall out.then just reverse the process and u will be on ur way.should take u about 1 hour or so.

let me know how u make out

thanks man . im bypassin it for now . ill try to replace it later c ya

Add your comment to this topic!