Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuelpump Kill switch

RamBlack
11-17-2005, 04:19 AM
Hello everyone,

I have a 06 Ram 1500 Manual and would like to install a aftermarket fuel
pump kill switch any ideas on how to do this and were to buy one.

Thanks for your help

RamBlack

scoutinkeith
11-17-2005, 08:43 AM
I had a starter kill switch on a chevy that I used to have, I would imagine you could hook up something similar to your fuel pump.

just put a relay in the existing power wire for the fuel pump, then you can use whatever switch you want to trigger the relay.

fredjacksonsan
11-18-2005, 09:50 AM
Exactly.

BleedDodge
11-18-2005, 09:52 AM
The key?

fredjacksonsan
11-18-2005, 09:55 AM
I think he's thinking of an extra layer of security for the truck.

BleedDodge
11-18-2005, 11:11 AM
Is that what he wants? Why not put a hidden ignition switch, or a starter button? The fuel pump doesn't have to be involved if it's a security issue, does it?

My old Dodge has a starter button, it's so cool...

RamBlack
11-21-2005, 08:10 PM
Security is what I'm looking for since my truck is a manual trans. I want to be able to stop someone for pushing it and pop it in gear. Would a stater button do this? Now I know something in line with the fuel pump
would do what I'm looking for since no fuel means it will not start. And any help on how to install would help out a lot.

Thanks for your help

fredjacksonsan
11-21-2005, 08:44 PM
There is a power wire that runs from the fuel pump in the rear, up to the front of the truck to hook into the wiring harness. All you have to do is trace it to a convenient place in the cab, cut it, and put the switch in line (make sure it can handle the rated voltage, and that any wire you're using is of the correct rating also, and I don't know but it's likely 12v).

BleedDodge
11-21-2005, 09:59 PM
No ignition means it won't start either. I wouldn't touch the fuel-related electronics.

fredjacksonsan
11-22-2005, 07:27 AM
You may have a good point there, Bleed. If there's some sort of sensor on the fuel voltage it could screw it up. But I've seen several of these installed on various vehicles and they all worked fine. Just have to "turn on" the fuel before hitting the ignition switch.

RamBlack
11-22-2005, 11:51 PM
O.k. I dont want to screw the truck up snice I just got it.! I'm looking for and extra layer of protection. I plan on getting a alarm but wanted to have something else to go along with that. Now I need some help with this part. Bleed you said a Hidden ignition switch or stater button would give me what I'm looking for right? I thought since it's a manuel trans. that those two were out of the questions snice it would still run
if pop in gear. If I'm wrong how should I go about putting in the better one Hidden ignition or stater button?

Thanks for the Help

fredjacksonsan
11-23-2005, 07:39 AM
Ramblack, you're starting to sound a little paranoid. If you're that worried, just insure the truck well, and drive on.

fanworks
11-28-2005, 08:36 AM
Old trick we used actually by accident due to a faulty part in an old Chevy was on a manual truck, there usually is a kill mechanism in the clutch itself that if the clutch is not engaged the engine won't run. However, I think it only had to do with the starting process.

For a while with an old Chevy since the engage kill switch was bad, we used to jump the line, but if you didn't know about it and where the wiring was, there was no way to crack the starter.

scoutinkeith
11-28-2005, 03:25 PM
just thought of this, and thought I'd throw it out.

if someone was going to steal the truck, they would have to power the ignition to get it to run, which means that they'd have to pull wires from under the dash(hot wire it) to get poer to the ignition. just rolling it and dumping the clutch won't make it start, at least not without power to the ignition(or the key in the "on" position).

so what you'd have to do is cut the wire from the steering colom that gives the ignition it's power(preferably in a hidden place), put in a relay, and run a wire to a trigger switch that is hidden.

doing that "should not" cause any problems with the computer, because with the switch off, it's the same as the key being off.

or, just put a batery disconnect (kill swith) in it, that way nothing will have power. with that turned off, it would be like pulling the batery. however, you'd have to make sure not to kill the power to stuff like power door locks, and radio, otherwise you couldn't use keyless entry, and would have to reset the clock and presets on the radio every time you started the truck.

Add your comment to this topic!