Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Big problem, please help! (transmission mount/pan)

bjkroll
11-16-2005, 08:01 PM
Alright, something went wrong. I was in the process of removing the bolts from my transmission pan, and noticed a large bar leading across the lower end of the trans pan. I was in the process of removing, when I realized it was the transmission mount! I was always under the impression that the transmission needed to be held up by a jack whenever the mounts removed. I see no way at all to access all the bolts in the pan without removing that cross-bar.

Is it safe to remove the mount while removing the pan? I already did one screw, and it shot out.. didn't seem safe.

EDIT:
Argh, I supported the trans near the u-joint, which took a load off of the trans. Nothing damaged (thank god). Still struggling with the mount/crossmember. Argh, rust.. solid rust, small arms ;)

I'll be replacing the mount and bolts and whatnot.. Sadly, I need to drill out half a piece of rust, and re-thread. :(

Mailt4
11-17-2005, 03:59 PM
USE THIS AS YOUR OWN RISK
Get a 2X4,put it across the oil Pan, jack it up SLIGHTLY enough to take the pressure off of the Mount and support it then remove the Mount, after you remove the Mount, support the Trans at the mounting bolts area then remove the Pan.
When you replace the filter ( I assumed ) reinstall the Pan, support the Trans with the 2X4 at the Pan and put you mount back together.
BE SAFE

bjkroll
11-17-2005, 09:04 PM
USE THIS AS YOUR OWN RISK
Get a 2X4,put it across the oil Pan, jack it up SLIGHTLY enough to take the pressure off of the Mount and support it then remove the Mount, after you remove the Mount, support the Trans at the mounting bolts area then remove the Pan.
When you replace the filter ( I assumed ) reinstall the Pan, support the Trans with the 2X4 at the Pan and put you mount back together.
BE SAFE
Woa, thats way outta my league. I get scared enough jacking up a car (I know of a few that have died this way :nono: ). Thanks for your advice tho.

driftinggrifter2
11-17-2005, 09:09 PM
If you dont want to do it the way he mentioned the only other way i can see it being done is taken to a shop or find a friend that would be willing to do it for you.

bjkroll
11-18-2005, 02:49 PM
If you dont want to do it the way he mentioned the only other way i can see it being done is taken to a shop or find a friend that would be willing to do it for you.

Hmm, im doing something similar to what he mentioned. Im waiting to get this bolt removed from the frame (broke off, dont have the tools) and I really think I can handle it from there. Thanks everyone!

Add your comment to this topic!