Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

1998 Chevy Blazer 4x4 Transmission Shot

kezzame
11-16-2005, 08:55 PM
I purchased my 98 Blazer in February of this year. It is in excellent condition inside & out w/only 64000 miles. About 2 months ago the transmission went completely out on me. It won't go forward but for some reason it still goes in reverse - though tough. Generally reverse is what goes out first, yes? I'm frustrated because of the low miles. I've had the truck for about 9 months & now it's sitting in my driveway - can't afford to get it fixed. There was no warranty offered on it so it will cost me $2600+ to repair. I purchased a carfax report & found nothing. The report showed that the truck has always been taken good care of. I'm hoping to find others with the same issue - a trend - to possibly report. What to do?

mdrush
11-18-2005, 12:28 AM
The transmission on my '98 Blazer LT went out last year at 88K Miles. Same thing reverse worked but no forward gears....cost me 2200.00. At first the transmission shop thought it was a stuck caliper until they dropped the pan and found various parts lying in the bottom.

I've owned mine since new and take pretty good care of it. The mechanic told me never to tow with an S10 over any distance.

If you can't afford the repair all at once see if they will do a pymt plan...transmission work is never cheap so they're used to people asking.

Allbert
11-18-2005, 03:40 PM
I purchased my 98 Blazer in February of this year. It is in excellent condition inside & out w/only 64000 miles. About 2 months ago the transmission went completely out on me. It won't go forward but for some reason it still goes in reverse - though tough. Generally reverse is what goes out first, yes? I'm frustrated because of the low miles. I've had the truck for about 9 months & now it's sitting in my driveway - can't afford to get it fixed. There was no warranty offered on it so it will cost me $2600+ to repair. I purchased a carfax report & found nothing. The report showed that the truck has always been taken good care of. I'm hoping to find others with the same issue - a trend - to possibly report. What to do?

Installation of a rebuilt tranny might be an attractive option and something you can probably do yourself if you're mechanically inclined. The page below is about the cheapest I've seen.

http://www.phoenixhardparts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=558

BTW, the GM 4L60E is fine for towing... it's the same transmission that goes in everything up to Avalanches.

SultanGris
11-18-2005, 11:21 PM
Installation of a rebuilt tranny might be an attractive option and something you can probably do yourself if you're mechanically inclined. The page below is about the cheapest I've seen.

http://www.phoenixhardparts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=558

BTW, the GM 4L60E is fine for towing... it's the same transmission that goes in everything up to Avalanches.

when towing, your gonna want a good aftermarket tranny cooler, and never tow in overdrive.

BlazerLT
11-18-2005, 11:29 PM

Shop around for a used tranny to install. Much cheaper.

Also, do you come to a complete stop before putting into drive when you are reversing?

SultanGris
11-18-2005, 11:41 PM
Shop around for a used tranny to install. Much cheaper.

Also, do you come to a complete stop before putting into drive when you are reversing?

whilst true that if you get a tranny from a junk yard it will cost you around 1200 to get it and swap it, or close to it, but then you take the risk of getting a tranny that you dont know how long its going to last.

i got a 95 s10 blazer, my tranny went out, and 95 is year specific, and i only found 2, and both had more miles on it than my original, and they were 450 and 550, ironically highest milage cost the most. figgure around 800 to swap it out on mine, id rather pay the extra 700 to get mine rebuilt and be set forever.

unless you are swapping it yourself, thats the only way you really save any money.

BlazerLT
11-19-2005, 12:36 AM
whilst true that if you get a tranny from a junk yard it will cost you around 1200 to get it and swap it, or close to it, but then you take the risk of getting a tranny that you dont know how long its going to last.

i got a 95 s10 blazer, my tranny went out, and 95 is year specific, and i only found 2, and both had more miles on it than my original, and they were 450 and 550, ironically highest milage cost the most. figgure around 800 to swap it out on mine, id rather pay the extra 700 to get mine rebuilt and be set forever.

unless you are swapping it yourself, thats the only way you really save any money.

But not everyone has the luxery of having the money to do that.

I would pay 700 less and actually have a truck on the road.

You can usually find decent trannies if you look hard enough.

spifee
01-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Well Fellow Blazer people this tranny is electric and so far i have found out that there are electric relays that open and close valves,my overdrive is not working so i am getting terrible gas mileage,but as far as getting a tranny from the junkyard to swap i would think twice,unless you can see where it is coming out of,it is a lot of work,and it is well worth the 1200 to repair.

Southern Comfort
01-29-2006, 01:12 PM
I rebuilt my tranny last month. I replace all the clutchs , bands, sunshell reaction gear, and all solenoids in the valve body, and the seals for around 400 hundred dollars. Mine is a 99, and had 92K miles on it when it went out. I was heart broken. I wouldn't own anything but a chevy. After it went out, I didn't care to much for chevy then. after calling around here trying to find a used tranny, no such luck. Rebuilt one was about 1200 + trade in. I've never rebuilt a tranny before, so I thought, what the heck. I pulled the tranny, set it up on my electronic repair bench and took it apart. I found the sun shell reaction gear was broke. The clutchs looked new. I went ahead and replaced all of them any way , seeing how I was in there. My truck runs as well as it did when I bought it new. I have 113 K on it now. I didn't expect the tranny to go out with that few of miles on it. And I have only towed with it once.
I still love my truck, seeing how easy it was to rebuild the tranny. Good luck in what ever decision my make. If I can help with any info you need, just let me know.
SC

Brian R.
01-29-2006, 01:16 PM
Where did you get the service manual and the parts for the rebuild?

Southern Comfort
01-29-2006, 01:28 PM
I got the manual at this location
http://www.oregonperformancetransmission.com

I had to buy the revised adition too. I think they where about 35 dollars for both.
SC

Brian_D
01-30-2006, 11:53 AM
Southern Comfort,

What proceedure did you use to remove the transmission - specifically the top transmission to engine bolts? The Chilton manual alludes to removing the body to frame bolts on the left-side to raise the body, however, it does not specify how many bolts must be removed - nor their location.

thx,
Brian_D

Southern Comfort
01-30-2006, 04:37 PM
I had to remove both drive shafts and the Y part of the exhaust, then remove the transfer case, and the cross member for the transamission mount. Then removed six bolts and all the connecting wires and dropped the tranmission down. OH yeah, I forgot the starter. I had to break the torqe converter bolts loose from inside the starter hole. I had to pry the transmission apart for the
block as well. I remove the gear selector switch and transmission wire going into the right hand side of the the truck. I had to unplug the O2 sensor as well. Also, I had to remove the vacuum hoses from the transfer case.
I think I cover everthing there. I wouldn't get two cents for a haynes or Chilton manual.
Thanks
SC.

skyzend
01-31-2006, 04:11 PM
I can only simpathize with all that have posted here. My 1999 has 240K Km and am waiting for the call from the shop to let me know when its ready.

I lost 3rd, 4th gear and reverse, and there was a lot of slippage in the 2 gears that I had. To compound things I had no 4WD ... this disappeared sometime last December in deep snow when I really needed it!!!.

Bottom line. replace the transmission with a GM refurbished model. Extra $ but comes with a 3 year warranty. New encoder motor, Old one was "swollen" whatever that means, and finally a new transfer module. Can't wait to see the bill. probably about $5KUS

Can't complain much though. Outside of a few wheel bearings/ball joints and door hinge pins and a new ignition switch the Blazer owes me nothing. It should be ready to go another 240K ... I hope!!

Mic1980
03-10-2012, 10:21 AM
The problem with these Blazers they just arn't reliable. The engine runs good but the trannys, intake manifolds go on these cars nothing but headaches. The good thing is there is a lot of support for them on the internet.

Add your comment to this topic!