Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 volvo 850 not like cold weather

iluvmevolvo
11-16-2005, 04:45 PM
Greetings Volvo enthusiast(s)!

I have a 93 Volvo 850 and it is very tempermental during cold weather. The car will start fine and run for about 3 seconds but afterward it will die. It normally takes about 10 to 20 trys to get the car started and keep it running.

A peculiar noise happens right before it starts to run when it is cold. A mild/medium buzzing sound is noted to come from what appears to be the lower left side of the dashboard.

As soon as the buzzing sound is heard the car will start and run as if there is no problem.

Issue: sometimes it takes 10+ minutes to get it started. If the weather is extremely cold...forget it...its a losing battle!

Any suggestion on what might be the cause of this and how to fix it?

Thanks,

ILUVMEVOLVO

TheMan5952
02-22-2006, 11:10 PM
Cold start injectors are my guess. They work like a choke on carb'd cars just give it some extra gas for cold starting. Are there any codes from the ecu you can pull?

850wagon
10-23-2006, 10:41 PM
Cold start injectors are my guess. They work like a choke on carb'd cars just give it some extra gas for cold starting. Are there any codes from the ecu you can pull?

Do the 850s have cold start injectors?

-

TheMan5952
10-27-2006, 02:22 PM
Do the 850s have cold start injectors?

-

They might Either that or the cold start enrichment circut for the fuel injection is malfunctioning. Have you had any problems with the temprature gauge? Might want to look into replacing the engine coolant temprature sensor.

dannydoo
01-18-2007, 12:31 AM
There is a relay underneath the fuse panel underneath the hood.
Theres 4 torx screws in the fuse panel,under that is the relays..

One is the fuel control relay.....it freezes up in the cold....once u have the ignition on./off for 5-7 mi nutes not cranking....but acting like a crazy monkey and you hear the buzzing in the left corner by the window....its your relay ......it has connected and now the motor will catch and start all day no problems......

F u k n piece of chit .....I know!!! believe me.....theyre about 65 from a dealer.

Add your comment to this topic!