Belts squeal, but only in cold weather

haseltonk
11-16-2005, 03:13 PM
96 Metro 120k 3cyl 5spd. Car is fine down to about 45 degrees, then the belts start to squeal on startup (colder it is the worse the squealing is). If you rev the engine the squealing usually stops. The belts were replaced around March so they are newer. I've tried using belt conditioner without success. I don't think the belts are too loose becase they only squeal in cold weather. Any suggestions?

Crvett69
11-16-2005, 03:46 PM
you have to have the bekts fairly tight on metros or they will do that, tighten it a little more

Crvett69
11-16-2005, 03:46 PM
you have to have the belts fairly tight on metros or they will do that, tighten it a little more

BeoWolfe
11-17-2005, 10:35 AM
One other thing to check is the bolts on the alternator. There should be three bolts, one on the front bottom, one on the back bottom and the one on top.

The one bolt on the backside of the alternator isn't the easiest thing to get to so sometimes when an alternator is replaced it isn't put back on. Over time the alternator will start to shift causing it not to properly line up with the other pullies. First symptom is an unstoppable belt cold squeal which eventually graduates to the belt getting shredded.

I speak from experience on this one, I had my alternator replaced and it was over a year later that I started getting belt squeal. I replaced the belt and the squeal soon came back, then the belts started getting chewed up :(. I replaced the belt 3 times before I did further investigating and found that bolt missing. Just replaced the bolt and voila everything has been working squeal free for 8 months now.

Add your comment to this topic!