Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

D17 Swap

fiberglasscivic
11-15-2005, 07:20 PM
Does anyone know of a successful swap from one of the d15 or d16 series engines to a d17? If so can I get a link to the info. I'm getting ready to do a rebuild and I'm considering the D17 as a possibility for the swap.

Schister66
11-15-2005, 07:36 PM
if you're going to go through the hassle of a swap, why wouldn't you consider a b series.....or aren't you doing this for power??

iVteC_PoWeR
11-15-2005, 07:55 PM
Theres a D17? If there is you should consider a B series swap instead if you have the money...

fiberglasscivic
11-15-2005, 09:50 PM
The B series has been done over and over and over. I want to try something different. I've been looking at the info on the engine and I think that it would work out all right, not to mention that it would have more possibilites of making power than the D15 series. I'm going to do forced induction and this will be my first turbo. I want it to be done right but I'm not buying a kit. I want a custom setup. I've been learining everything that I can about going blown and I thought the D17 might take to it as well as the D15 and D16 does.

Schister66
11-15-2005, 10:45 PM
http://www.beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html
and
www.turbod16.com

those sites are going to be your friends.....create a profile on turbo d and ask them the same question

ridestreet84
11-17-2005, 07:39 AM
hey man remeber the d17 isnt all that great of an engine and to switch over to that you would have to do an obd2 conversion as well. like i told you early check into the jdm d15b

fiberglasscivic
11-17-2005, 07:47 AM
it's still a consideration, not to mention that I plan on chipping an ECU and doing my own tuning. I think that's where the current prob lies with the D17 stock but that's why I posted (so I can find out)

ridestreet84
11-17-2005, 08:08 AM
well just remember that time we test drove that 2001 ex with the d17. also i think that you would be able to get a better ecu with the d15b and you can get the tranny and all for a lot cheaper than everything that you would need to do the d17 swap

hxgaser
11-17-2005, 04:32 PM
I have D17 in my car and I wouldn't recommend it. Don't get me wrong, it is a great motor. D17A6 to be exact, but I think the 7th gen civics, which came with D17 series are the most tuner unfriendly series since the introduction of the model line. I think the engineers at Honda ate some bad sushi and made their brain or whirley twerley when they released the 7th gen civics. But seriously... the 7th gen civic were unfriendly to tuners, and not that many aftermarket parts manufacturers go into it. Motor itself is pretty cool, Direct ignition and all, but because you won't find that many parts, I would say you go with a B series swap.
Hey if you have mula to burn, why don't you look into a K series swap? I got a feeling that there will be tons of stuff coming out for that.

Schister66
11-17-2005, 06:00 PM
go to www.turbod16.com they know better than most people...not to say these guys don't know what they're talking about....:p

bluesteelrock
05-15-2006, 09:26 PM
:sunglasse I also wanna try and build up a D17 so far all the pulleys, short ram intake, throtlerbody spacer, headers, exaust, springs, tokico suspension front/rear sway bars and a vforce ecu piggy back though it works for about 3-5 mins than I have to turn it off it will spill gas b4 the burn , would love to pop stage 2 cam with retainers and springs, king motorsports is coming out with some in motor stuff, its taking time but everything is trickling down onto the street. I D17 and the way its made stock now with a cam upgrade damm! 8000 redline 2nd gear has got to cruise past 100 km , I figure telling if I'm talikng outta my ass, Ultimate goal after that slap a 6 speed gearbox and let her rip to 300 km first street 01 d17 to do it , and dont take any k20 ridacule it is what it is work with what you have its all part of the zero to hero game with 4 bangers!

fiberglasscivic
05-15-2006, 09:40 PM
Wow man! I haven't even posted in this since Nov. Check the dates next time and start a new thread. I decided not to swap to the D17 series because of $$$. Other than that I still believe that most of the power restricting lies in the ECU. The motor itself has potential for bigger and better things.

Add your comment to this topic!