Inspection/side view mirror

rayjag
11-15-2005, 04:41 PM
Will a vehicle(97 ford tarus) pass VA state inspection if the glass in the passenger side mirror is missing? How hard is it to replace this?

Ray J

drdisque
11-15-2005, 05:43 PM
I doubt it will pass. How missing is the glass? is it completely gone or just cracked? Replacing the mirror the right way is about an hour job, but if there's part of the mirror there, they make repair mirrors that simply glue onto the old mirror.

rayjag
11-15-2005, 06:13 PM
It is completley missing. I am wondering if I need to buy the glass part from the dealer or a whole right assembely. How does it come? It is electric and I think I see bolt holes there.

I doubt it will pass. How missing is the glass? is it completely gone or just cracked? Replacing the mirror the right way is about an hour job, but if there's part of the mirror there, they make repair mirrors that simply glue onto the old mirror.

TaurusKing
11-18-2005, 11:56 PM
You can buy just the glass, it snaps on, may take a little care not to break it, I had to replace mine, heated costs like 37.00, ripoff for a little piece, what are you going to do???? lol

rayjag
11-19-2005, 08:27 AM
I guess I will call the dealer and see what they have.

RJ

You can buy just the glass, it snaps on, may take a little care not to break it, I had to replace mine, heated costs like 37.00, ripoff for a little piece, what are you going to do???? lol

rayjag
12-20-2005, 03:46 AM
I am changing out the whole shabang. I am pretty sure I need to pull the door panel. It has been a while. Any tips(hiddeden screws, new hardware clips?). There is a speaker there. Need a vin? Engine code #8 is u 97.

Leme know!!

Ray J.

drdisque
12-21-2005, 03:45 PM
there's a hidden screw behind the panel above the door release handle. I was able to get away with not using any new clips.

jenbrink
12-21-2005, 10:55 PM
I am changing out the whole shabang. I am pretty sure I need to pull the door panel. It has been a while. Any tips(hiddeden screws, new hardware clips?). There is a speaker there. Need a vin? Engine code #8 is u 97.

Leme know!!

Ray J.

Why are you changing the entire mirror? (if that is what you mean).
I replaced mine by myself, bought mirror (glass only) from dealer, around 40 bucks.
Snaps right on. done in 5 minutes.

Door panels are a pain in the rear!

rayjag
12-21-2005, 11:38 PM
My Brother's car. Already have the part. I fix treadmills now. Thanks so much!! Any other tips?

RJ

Why are you changing the entire mirror? (if that is what you mean).
I replaced mine by myself, bought mirror (glass only) from dealer, around 40 bucks.
Snaps right on. done in 5 minutes.

Door panels are a pain in the rear!

Add your comment to this topic!