Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

700R4 Transmission transbrake

instantkevin
11-15-2005, 03:20 PM
okay, first off i would like to apologize for my recent lack of presence on here. this whole senior-year-college computer science thing is kickin my ass, on top of that two part-time jobs aren't really allowing me a whole lot of free time.

anyway. I need to find a transbrake for my transmission. why? cause I really want one. The only place I have found that make them is Art Carr.com and cks performance (or something like that) but they both only provide them with reverse pattern, fully-manual valve bodies. which is cool but they are all around $700. plus i would have to scrap my $200 B&M ratchet shifter for another one.

I just want a transbrake solenoid that i can screw-in the vavle body and wire it... that's all. somebody please help me find one! I'm not sure if the design of the factory valve body allows for it, but surely theres someone who manufactures something that makes it work.

My second option is to get a higher stall converter, to have a similar effect. I'm already considering this. but I really want the transbrake instead. help me.

instantkevin
11-17-2005, 12:12 AM
bump

wrightz28
11-17-2005, 09:16 AM
sorry, I've been pndering it, you tried jeg's and summit and all those guys? what about TCI?

92zcamaroperson
11-17-2005, 09:25 AM
....I cant help you because when i googled it I got TCI but I didnt see a listing for the 700-R4. But what exactly is the function of a trans brake. The description says it allows the torque converter to get to max stall before putting full engine power to the drivetrain. But how does it do this? Does this mean nothing happens below whatever the stall is?

wrightz28
11-17-2005, 09:35 AM
right, it acts like a clutch in a manual, where you rev up to optimum power band and let her rip.

92zcamaroperson
11-17-2005, 01:47 PM
So normally without a transbrake the torque converter would just slip constantly until it gets to the stall speed. But with the transbrake it holds everything and just lets the engine spin free until it hits the stall speed. So can you adjust or set the stall speed or do you still have to get a different converter for more performance?

instantkevin
11-17-2005, 02:01 PM
essentially a transbrake will allow the engine to spin to whatever rpm you rev it up to while the transmission is still in gear. so you put the tranny in drive, press the button, rev the engine to where you want it (3000,4000rpm, whatever), then let go of the button, the transmission suddenly engages, and you shoot off like a rocket.

basically the transbrake just controls whether the engine is engaged to the driveshaft or not. just another way to control your stall speed at launch... instead of changing your torque converter. it's just like a neutral drop without the delay and the automatic shifting that you get with the drive gear (because transbrakes only work in manual 1st gear...for safety puposes).

the problem I'm running into is that most serious drag racers use other transmissions like th350, th400, or powerglide. u can find transbrakes solenoids for those easy. everything i have found so far is more than i want. I don't want a reverse valve body (1st gear is where park would be, 2nd is where neutral would be, so on) that cost $700 bucks. I just want to add the solenoid to my existing valve body, wire it, and be done. i just need help finding it.

Does anybody know the web addres of that forum this is only for transmission discussion? I've been there before but didn't bookmark it.

wrightz28
11-18-2005, 08:52 AM
honestly IMO I'd just go with a 400. You can usually slavage one at a swap meet and rebuild it for not much budget strain.

Add your comment to this topic!