Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 corsica gears wont engage

Michie
11-15-2005, 01:34 PM
Car starts fine, idles fine, Its an automatic, six cylindar. When you shift, the gears won't engage. So there's no going forward or backwards. It just sits there and revs up when you push on the gas, BUT, if we rock the car REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY hard, it'll pop out of park and into gear, but you have to push the gas and out of neutral real fast to get it to go. It'll drive around fine after you get it to go, except when you put it back in park.

Any ideas????

Thanks.

jsgold
11-16-2005, 10:17 PM
Well, if you have plenty of fluid I would say your clutches are toast. Does not sound good. It is one thing if a transmisison shifts hard or slow but if it will not go into gear it is bad. Maybe a pump, maybe clutches, a lot of parts in there!!

Michie
11-17-2005, 08:47 AM
Well, if you have plenty of fluid I would say your clutches are toast. Does not sound good. It is one thing if a transmisison shifts hard or slow but if it will not go into gear it is bad. Maybe a pump, maybe clutches, a lot of parts in there!!

We were thinking maybe it was the park "pin" keeps sticking? Was just hoping maybe it was something other than a tranny thing....

Ed_Strong
11-17-2005, 11:38 AM
Start with the simple... pop the hood and shift thru the gears and see if the cable from the lever to the tranny is actually doing its job. it might be a simple loose link or cable not grabing

Michie
11-17-2005, 03:31 PM
Start with the simple... pop the hood and shift thru the gears and see if the cable from the lever to the tranny is actually doing its job. it might be a simple loose link or cable not grabing

Ok, we've checked all the simple things. Does anyone know if you have to drop the tranny to check the parking pawl?

jsgold
11-17-2005, 04:46 PM
According to my GM service manual, my 91 only requires you to drop the pan, filter, fluid level stop bracket etc. I would think yours is same.

Add your comment to this topic!