Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

bumping noise in rear suspension

jimmy thrift
11-15-2005, 12:55 PM
I recently noticed a bumping noise in the rear of my grand cherokee when driving on dirt roads and rough highways.I had the pads replaced and shocks but the noise is still there. I've tried to pin point the noise but I am having no luck. I'm thinking it must be some type of bushing. Any ideas?

Cam7
11-17-2005, 04:51 AM
Take a good look at the Rear Control Arms and Bushings , if they check out OK look at the rear suppension around the Diff. Also check the brakes a loose caliper can make wierd noises.

cjmuz
11-12-2006, 08:12 PM
I recently noticed a bumping noise in the rear of my grand cherokee when driving on dirt roads and rough highways.I had the pads replaced and shocks but the noise is still there. I've tried to pin point the noise but I am having no luck. I'm thinking it must be some type of bushing. Any ideas?

Have you found what the problem is?. I have the same noise. I changed the shocks, I disconnected the sway bar and check the bushings and they look ok, but the noise continues. I am thinking that the noise is from the coil spring and the body. Let me know any information you have.

AlohaBra
11-13-2006, 12:16 AM
Did you check your spare tire? When my spare tire gets loose due to air loss, it starts making a noise like that in back.

cjmuz
11-13-2006, 08:19 PM
I took out the jack, the spare tire and almost everithing I could think can make a noise, but it continue.

Wino
11-13-2006, 10:15 PM
Check the rear door latch handle. I found that mine had worked loose and rattled when I hit a bump. Another thing might be the wheel shrouds banging against the bumper.

damn95jgc
11-16-2006, 04:25 PM
We are having the same problem. I think - when my husband gets in the back seat or weight is added to the back seat there is a noise that starts - once moving I can't hear it but until then it sounds like something is loose - like the muffler but that's not it.

cjmuz
03-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Finally found the problem. After replacing the shocks I re-torque it to 26 ft/lbs as specified in the Hanes manual. I notice that if I put an screwdriver between the lower base in the deferential and the shock I could move it (hard to move but i could move it). I deside to tight it more (about three to four time the specified torque) and the noise stop.

Add your comment to this topic!