'97 maxima--rubbing noise

dropbox
11-15-2005, 10:21 AM
I just started experiencing a rubbing noise from my car. What's weird is that the noise only occurs when the car is "coasting". If i step on the gas or brake the noise stops. Can anyone help me?
The car is a '97 with 28,000 miles on it.

Nahkapohjola
11-15-2005, 10:51 AM
...a rubbing noise from my car. ...

Try to define more:
- sound location/direction (tire, engine/tranny, exhaust mid/rear...)
- sound amplitude: does it change related to wheel rotation?
- turning: any change?

The car is living.
- Engine always changes its angle accel/coast, exhaust is connected.
- Engine doesnt change angle or move coasting/braking
- Front tires change angle accel/coasting/braking

Check out front wheels, axles for any loose parts/materiel.

dropbox
11-15-2005, 11:11 AM
Try to define more:
- sound location/direction (tire, engine/tranny, exhaust mid/rear...)
- sound amplitude: does it change related to wheel rotation?
- turning: any change?

The car is living.
- Engine always changes its angle accel/coast, exhaust is connected.
- Engine doesnt change angle or move coasting/braking
- Front tires change angle accel/coasting/braking

Check out front wheels, axles for any loose parts/materiel.

The noise sounds like it is coming from the front half of the car. The higher the speed the faster the noise. Even if your going 45MPH and you give it more gas, the noise stops. The same goes for braking. The noise stops while braking. There is no noise when turning. The noise seems to be relative to accelerating/braking. You only hear it when coasting.

Could it be the bushings in the universal joints?

Nahkapohjola
11-15-2005, 11:31 AM
...coming from the front half of the car. ...

Check, tranny oil level, belt tightness.

The car is very low on miles, so I'd count out std wear and/or exhaust leak. Rubber parts age more when not used: tires, boots, bushings, engine mounts... Lower ball joint may break at once when smbdy hits the pavement edge, will cause that wheel to steer based on coast/accel.

I'd first swap front tires to rear on one side (later on the other). When front is up, take a prybar and try to move all parts against each other (do not touch rubber). Watch for any wear strakes on wheels, axles or abnormal tire wear.

Open hood. Handbrake on. Engine on D, watch engine as smbdy pushes on gas pedal. See engine movement, watch for places where engine parts could touch chassis. Do the same with R. Be careful, dont stand in front but on one side. Try to peek deep on both engine sides, front & rear...

How loud the noise is? If u think its loud, then go to a shop u trust and ask smbdy to check out. When/if problem found, ask quotation from at least three places if its pricey.

dropbox
11-15-2005, 11:55 AM
Check, tranny oil level, belt tightness.

The car is very low on miles, so I'd count out std wear and/or exhaust leak. Rubber parts age more when not used: tires, boots, bushings, engine mounts... Lower ball joint may break at once when smbdy hits the pavement edge, will cause that wheel to steer based on coast/accel.

I'd first swap front tires to rear on one side (later on the other). When front is up, take a prybar and try to move all parts against each other (do not touch rubber). Watch for any wear strakes on wheels, axles or abnormal tire wear.

Open hood. Handbrake on. Engine on D, watch engine as smbdy pushes on gas pedal. See engine movement, watch for places where engine parts could touch chassis. Do the same with R. Be careful, dont stand in front but on one side. Try to peek deep on both engine sides, front & rear...

How loud the noise is? If u think its loud, then go to a shop u trust and ask smbdy to check out. When/if problem found, ask quotation from at least three places if its pricey.

Thank you.

DonSor
11-15-2005, 12:04 PM
I missed the manufacture of the car. One probablility is the front wheel bearing. If the noise does not change with the engine speed, then it is not the engine. Seems like the noise disappears when the front end is under load. Hmmm.

Nahkapohjola
11-15-2005, 12:12 PM
... it is not the engine. ...

Agree. The mentioned 28k miles seldom kill bearings. But 'anythin' is possible... might be clear after we could hear the noise.

dropbox
11-16-2005, 08:34 AM
I had two loose lugs on the front left wheel. All is well now.
Thanks for your help guys.

Nahkapohjola
11-16-2005, 10:21 AM
I had two loose lugs on the front left wheel. All is well now.
Thanks for your help guys.

Front wheel toe in (sittin, coastin) "changes to toe out", on acceleration. Wheel angle changes from 'push in' to 'rip off'... Very small changes but seems enough to cause that difference.

Add your comment to this topic!