Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

clicking noise please help!!!!!

HellsDRifteR
11-14-2005, 07:17 PM
ok i just recently installed my obx 4-2-1 header onto my '96 GS-R and when i took it out for a spin i hear a very noticable and annoying clicking noise when accelerating. it doesnt occur when idling or when its revved just through the gears. not as much at low rpms but when any amount of gas is given all i hear is click click click ( it increases with rpms). Its hard to tell exactly where its coming from but after researching i have seen that this is a common problem with integras mainly due to the cats heat shield. Can anyone help me figure out whats causing this noise and how to put an end to it? any help would be greatly appreciated.

knorwj
11-15-2005, 08:04 AM
is it a clicking or a rattling? the common problem you are describing is a rattle at about 3000 rpm, it is remedied by removing the heat shield above the catalytic converter. I've never heard anyone describe this sound as a clicking noise and i've never heard of it just start happening after installing a header.

Schister66
11-15-2005, 09:59 AM
clicking noises in some cars are caused by stuck lifters....that's in pushrod engines tho. Besides that i'm not sure what the problem would be....

HellsDRifteR
11-15-2005, 12:49 PM
yea its more of a clicking that increases as the rmps increase. i have read about the rattling that occurs around 3000 3500 but this apparently is different. could it be that something wasnt tightned enough? but i tried to tighten each nut as tight as possible.

knorwj
11-15-2005, 03:07 PM
yea its more of a clicking that increases as the rmps increase. i have read about the rattling that occurs around 3000 3500 but this apparently is different. could it be that something wasnt tightned enough? but i tried to tighten each nut as tight as possible.

Well if it is coming from the engine bay (more specifically the head) then I would suggest a valve lash adjustment. I believe it is recomended every 30k miles on our vehicles. If your vehicle hasn't had one in a long time or ever, then this could very well be the clicking noise you are hearing.

Oh and just as an FYI don't ever tighten anything as tight as you can, it will only cause you more headaches in the long run. chances are you are stronger than you think and something will strip, or snap and that can be a bitch. Never tighten any bolts/nuts/studs tighter than the recomended torque specification found in any repair manual.

Schister66
11-15-2005, 03:49 PM
:1: now we need a write up on how to adjust valve lash..i've never done it on my Honda's......:p

knorwj
11-15-2005, 05:31 PM
:1: now we need a write up on how to adjust valve lash..i've never done it on my Honda's......:p

yeah i was supposed to do one for our how to guide last spring but some things happened and it has been put off until hopefully sometime before 2006 haha.

HellsDRifteR
11-15-2005, 09:57 PM
well im about 99% sure now that its being produced by a loose gasket or something loose with the head. is there any kind of sealent required when installing a new header for the gaskets, if so what kind. thanks. oh and btw wtf is a valve lash adjusment?

Schister66
11-15-2005, 10:53 PM
take a screwdriver, put the bit end on the head and the big end in your ear and listen to the head....or you could go get a stethoscope...

HellsDRifteR
11-16-2005, 07:39 PM
thanks for the help. im probally gonna pick up some header gasket sealer. is that something that u can just get at autozone or advancced auto parts?

knorwj
11-16-2005, 09:40 PM
did you replace the gasket when you installed your header? because you should. and that really wouldn't have anything to do with the clicking noise. The only thing I can imagine the header having to do with it is maybe you can here it more but either way a valve lash adjustment shouild be done. I'll try and get some time tonight or tomorrow to do a quick write up in this thread for you. If you aren't mechanically inclined I recomend just taking it somewhere. Its not a complex process but if mess it up your car may run worse and lose power.

Add your comment to this topic!