Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ECU or Wiring Harness problemI need to figure out what the problem is here. First a

jdmteg98
05-29-2002, 12:56 PM
I need to figure out what the problem is here. First a little background:

The car/chassis: 2000 Integra LS/GS Burgundy
The engine: Imported 1998 JDM B18C/R

Status: The engine is running, initially on the original ECU for the 2000 LS. Ordered a claimed "2001 TypeR ECU", plugged in and car would not start. Later come to find that the problem was that 2000 and up integras now come with an "Immobilizer System" that "keys" an ECU to the chassis. I took this to the local Acura dealership and they managed to re-key the system so the car now starts with the purchased ECU. HOWEVER I still don't have VTEC for one of these reasons:

1) The ECU is not actually a TypeR or VTEC enabled ECU.
2) The LS wiring harness in the car is not capable of VTEC (it was not wired so)
3) Both 1 and 2.

Here's some facts about the situation:

1) When I drive the car currently (on the claimed typeR ecu) the rev limiter is kicking in at 6K.
2) The Acura guys hooked up their computer to the ECU and said that "there is no VTEC" (Not sure how much I trust this because I couldnt understand a whole lot this guy was saying).
3) The Ebay guy _SWEARS_ that this is a TypeR ecu AND the code on the side corresponds to a TypeR ECU that I looked up on http://www.hondata.com (I _think_ it's P73)

So here's my questions:

1) Did this guy hook me up with a TypeR ecu?
2) The readings these Acura/Honda guys get from the ECU, does the machine connect to the ECU directly or does it go through the car's wiring harness.
3) Is there a difference between a LS/GS wiring harness and a GSR/TypeR wiring harness? If so, what has to be done to change it over or is there a better solution to this?

I know this can be done, i've seen a working one. Any information, no matter how significant is appreciated. Thanks.

RedRocketGSR
06-01-2002, 03:44 PM
That's really wierd. My friend Eric had the same problem with a guy off ebay.....wonder if it's the same guy?:confused: Anyways, the guy "said" (keyword:said) it was a Reprogrammed Skunk 2 ECU with a redline of 9K RPM. So, we tried putting it in my car(GSR) and the damn ECU was cutting out at about 6500 or so and no VTEC either. I told him that we should look at the code on the ecu and it will determine what ECU it is. There should be a bunch of numbers before and after your code. My stock ecu is a P72. The ITR should be a P73. If it's a PO6 for example then it's a Civic DX ECU. I almost guarantee you got jewed because like i said it happened to my friend Eric. Good luck on getting another ECU outta him, but if you have problems trying to see what ECU it is then reply back and i'll help ya out.

Later

jdmteg98
06-01-2002, 08:50 PM
well, i've basically come to the conclusion that this guy swapped out the circuitry of the civic ECU and the typer ECU so that he could unload the civic ECU at a higher pricetag while keeping the VTEC ecu for himself. bastard.

the guy's name is Brandon Vo, he's in Austin Texas. He's using the ebay name 'hybrid78758'. I would not recommend doing business with him ;)

RedRocketGSR
06-02-2002, 12:29 AM
Yea, i'll check with my friend Eric and see if that's the same guy and thanks for the advice on not buying from him.;) :D

Add your comment to this topic!