Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tire Pressure

justn
11-14-2005, 04:36 PM
The PSI max rating of my tire says 44 max so what should I be putting in? Do I keep the tire pressure as close to max or keep it say 4 psi less or ?.

Thanks

Madcat455
11-15-2005, 09:42 PM
That depends on the type of driving you do... For basic Hwy and City driving, go by the door panel for recommended pressure.. but add a couple of lbs. for passengers (like 2-4psi).

If you really want to get in depth... get 4 scales (car grade) and on a level surface put one under each tire. That'll tell you how much weight is on each tire. On you tire is a Max PSI @ Max Lbs... divide the Lbs by the Psi and that'll give you a 1 psi = X pounds... then figure out how many psi it would take to support the specific lbs for each tire according to the weight on that tire (with whatever you may be carrying in it and a full tank). That'll get you the Bare minimum you can get away with... technically giving the smoothest ride.

but really... that's not neccessary..lol. usually between 32-44 lbs is fine. I like to corner in my car, so I run it alittle higher than the door sticker.

higher psi means a stiffer ride.. but on Low profile tires, it's not any kind of difference that I can feel.

Add your comment to this topic!