Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99' Camry - Oil in spark plug

jeff11214
11-14-2005, 04:22 PM
Have 100,000 miles. Planned on changing my spark plugs and wires, but I noticed 1 of the wires was full of oil when I removed it so I didn't replace it yet. Can anybody shed some light on my situation? Is it ok to replace it and not worry or is there something I can do to fix this problem? Last resort always is taking it into the dealership.

Thanks for any input.

corning_d3
11-14-2005, 07:09 PM
It won't hurt to replace the plug, but oil is a sign of worn rings/oil ring. It would be a good idea to have a compression test ran on your engine.

Mike Gerber
11-15-2005, 12:25 AM
This is not usually caused by worn rings. With worn rings, the oil will be burned by the engine and exit via the tailpipe. Oil there is usually a simple fix. Retorque the large 30MM nuts on top of the cam cover to 17-19 foot lbs. They work their way loose over time from engine vibration and from the flatening of the cam cover gasket. Tighten them in 3 even passes; first 6 foot lbs, then 12 foot lbs then about 18 foot lbs. Tighten them in a pattern to insure even tightening starting with plug 1, then 3, then 2 and then 4. Then clean the oil out of the plug well before it destroys the plug wire. Drive it like that for about 1000 miles. Then check that plug well again for oil. If you don't find any you have cured the problem.

Mike

don24mac
11-15-2005, 05:45 PM
I've seen this before. Was the spark plug well that had oil in it near the oil filler area? I've seen new oil in the plug wells closest to the oil filler which was caused by being careless in filling or adding oil and spilling some. It can run down under the spark plug wire well cover and fill the spark plug well.

Just clean it out, and check the wire. If the wire feels spongy or saturated, replace it. Should be fine after that.

Add your comment to this topic!