Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

VAlve Lifters

altered.state
11-14-2005, 12:28 PM
have a 2002 grand am se v6 been having all kinds of trouble with rad a friend of mine told me to try bars leak , so i did now 3 days later i have a knocking noise coming from the motor , another friend of mine that knows alot more than i do told me it was the vavle lifters thats one is sticking , is there any i can add into my oil when i do a oil chnage that might help out , or is recomended

Thanks

DonSor
11-14-2005, 01:54 PM
If your lifters were gummy, you don't want "Bars Leak". They do have some oil additive that are advertised to do wonders for a sticking valve. I have reservations but it may be worth a try. Otherwise you will need a "head job".

GTP Dad
11-14-2005, 06:38 PM
Is there any possibility that some of the bars may have gotten into the oil. If so you will probably have more than lifter issues. If you have water in the oil then you will probably end up with an engine rebuild or replacement. Lifters in a V6 don't knock anyway they tap tap tap. A knock usually means that a rod bearing or main bearing is about to go or that a rod is about to break. I would have a mechanic look at it to see what is happening.

altered.state
11-14-2005, 07:27 PM
sorry about that i used bars leak for my rad leak , and yes its more of a tap tap tap, after warming up for about 5-10 mins the tap tap tap goes away

GTP Dad
11-15-2005, 05:27 AM
Check your oil and make sure that the level is proper and that the oil doesn't look milky or extremely black. You mentioned major radiator issues and if you overheated the engine there is a possibility that the oil has been cooked and needs to be replaced. You may also want to try a slightly thicker oil to see if the lifter noise goes away.

Add your comment to this topic!