Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

seized engine?

okanagan_guy
11-13-2005, 06:20 PM
My 1975 Dodge Camper Van ran dry of oil while running. The dipstick won't even come out and nothing happens when I try to start it. Does this mean I have a seized engine? And is it fixable?

SIRSHAGGY
07-13-2007, 09:56 PM
The best way I can tell you of finding out if your motor is seized, is to put a socket on the crank pully bolt (the large one in the center of the pulley) with a breaker-bar (not a ratchet) and give it some pressure in the clockwise (as you're looking at it) direction. If you cant budge the engine after moderate force (don't use all your strength, as you dont want to take a chance on breaking the bolt off) then it's probably kissed. Why the dipstick won't come out is a mystery, that wouldn't have anything to do with wether or not the engine is set-up (seized). A question the I have for you is, when the van ran dry on oil, was it sitting idle, or was it under acceleration/load? I ask this, because the situation will dictate how far the damage went into the engine. If it was just at an idle, you may get away with changing out the main/rod bearings...Hope I've been some help.

rhandwor
08-23-2007, 06:07 PM
If you haven't done a lot of engine work buy a short block and get a valve job. Sometimes this is cheaper in the long run.

Add your comment to this topic!