Motor Trend's article on the SRT8

Iron
11-13-2005, 02:31 PM
They seemed happy with the Charger, calling it's acceleration fluid and seamless, which could double as mental therapy, and commenting on it's "intoxicating" raspy rumble. When I read on though I was somewhat surprised to see their 13.5 quarter mile @106.3, versus the GTO's 13.3 @105.9. I've seen many boasting their Charger to run at 12.7(and even 12.6) bone stock with nothing done to it, I know that conditions are never exactly the same for tests but...0.8 is a nice chunk of time, and the GTO got a 13.3 with a "sluggish shifter", so the conditions couldn't have been that bad traction wise. Could someone let me know whats up?

moparrr07
11-21-2005, 09:56 PM
http://www.challengevideos.com/2005/notears/05notearsb.wmv

it sounds stock and others have said it is and this is 340lbs heavier than the charger

theFREAKnasty82
11-28-2005, 11:32 PM
They seemed happy with the Charger, calling it's acceleration fluid and seamless, which could double as mental therapy, and commenting on it's "intoxicating" raspy rumble. When I read on though I was somewhat surprised to see their 13.5 quarter mile @106.3, versus the GTO's 13.3 @105.9. I've seen many boasting their Charger to run at 12.7(and even 12.6) bone stock with nothing done to it, I know that conditions are never exactly the same for tests but...0.8 is a nice chunk of time, and the GTO got a 13.3 with a "sluggish shifter", so the conditions couldn't have been that bad traction wise. Could someone let me know whats up?

Are you sure about guys boasting that their stock Chargers w/ the 5.7 HEMI are putting out 12.6-12.7? That's impossible, that's only 0.6 seconds slower than the Dodge Viper. I have the same issue, got it in the mail a month ago, and I read that article. The times of the SRT-8 are accurate. Case in point, I know a buddy of mine that has a Chrysler 300C w/ the HEMI, same as the Charger, and he ran a 14.1, bone stock. The fact of the matter is that you compare the GTO, it weighs in at about 3700 lb. and the Charger is porked up to 4200 lb., a significant weight difference. Plus, the Charger has an automatic transmission compared to the GTOs manual, an auto will always weigh more than a manual and acceleration will suffer slightly due to the weight aspect. The traction issue was not a problem, at least it would appear in this article, the fact of the matter is the weight between the two vehicles. Back to what I was mentioning about those guys who boast 12.6 in a stock HEMI are full of it & trying to blow smoke. I am a loyal Dodge fan, but you can't lie when it comes to physics. If you find anyone who owns a stock Charger and can run mid 12s, you let me know b/c I don't believe it for one second, that's impossible. If a 425 HP 6.1 HEMI runs mid 13s, with 75 more HP, it's no way possible for a 350 HP HEMI to runs 12s BONE STOCK.

Iron
12-01-2005, 07:10 PM
This dude is one of the stock 12s I saw http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3365&page=1&pp=10
Most of the ones I see claiming to run these type of times are hanging around dodge or charger based message boards, my friend gave me a whole bunch of links because I did not believe that the charger could touch the 12s, when the articles I've read put it around 13.3-13.5.(after showing him the article he said the people in the magazines didn't know how to drive the charger properly(lol))

streethemi426
12-02-2005, 10:34 AM
well to be honest i do not like the new charger at all.

1) it does not look like an american muscle car,looks more like the car comes from japan.
2 they have ruined the charger name and hemi name as well,why have chrysler decided to use capital letters for this engine,that honour should be for the 426 only or bigger hemi block.
a few years back chrysler came out with a cracking looking charger which was gas powered.they shud have kept that body cus it was mean.

6.1 might have more power but that does not mean it is going to be faster.eg,the fastest street muscle car is a plymouth roadrunner 440+6 that ran 12.91 in 1969,that is faster then any street stock hemi.and the hemi had much more power.hemicuda pulled 13.2.440+6 had 390hp,but hemi cars was rated at 425hp but actual output was nearer to 500hp.

chrysler need real mopar heads to design cars like this,look at other manufacturers,new mini cooper looks like old one but bigger,toyota is bringing back supra and that looks great and so to does new skyline.

theFREAKnasty82
12-08-2005, 01:26 AM
This dude is one of the stock 12s I saw http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3365&page=1&pp=10
Most of the ones I see claiming to run these type of times are hanging around dodge or charger based message boards, my friend gave me a whole bunch of links because I did not believe that the charger could touch the 12s, when the articles I've read put it around 13.3-13.5.(after showing him the article he said the people in the magazines didn't know how to drive the charger properly(lol))

ok, now it makes sense to me, he was running an SRT-8. The half second difference can come from the way the guy drives it, which is a huge factor. Or possibly, the guy racing had slicks on it. Either way, the SRT-8 is a powerful car and those numbers being put up are something to believe in.

HeadlessHorseman
12-12-2005, 11:20 AM
Horsepower is only part of the story, of course; the other story is torque. For example, ounce for cast-iron ounce, I would take an old-school Chevy 327cid in a '67 Camaro over it's bigger 350 and 396 bigger brothers because the 327 delivered more useable torque to the wheels and was quicker off the blocks than either of its better horsepowered big brothers.

MPe488
01-02-2006, 03:32 PM
I have a hard time beleiving the 5.7 gets to 12.67 bone stock. LAst I heard the SRT-8 rarely manages to acheive that. For the most part even the SRT-8 is a 13 second car if I'm not mistaken.

Add your comment to this topic!