Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Trans OBD II Code P1886 Trouble.

1996GMCJimmy
11-13-2005, 12:35 PM
Help! My 1996 Jimmy is giving me a code read P1886. I have read the other posts where it gives the brief explanation of what the code is...

(P1886 = 3-2 Control Solenoid Circuit – Electrical = A = *DTC P1886 will be stored in PCM history *Soft landing into 3rd gear *Inhibit TCC engagement *Freeze 1-2 shift adapts from being updated *Maximum line pressure *TCC engaged in 4th)

...but can anyone help and explain what it means? What can I do to fix it? Is it a sensor. No unusual noise coming from Transmission either.

A couple days a go it started when suddenly the "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" light came on and the Transmission started to skip 1st Gear (It kinda felt like when you accelerate a stickshift on 2nd gear). Oil was ok. Fuses Ok. Drove the truck again then it was fine! No shifting problems, and then it started doing it again. The problem comes and goes. I tried to test all gears individually by shifting it down to first gear, then second, all the way up to "D", and the all shift fine.

I took it down to Autozone to borrow their diagnostic tool and it came up with this code only: P1886. "Manufacturer Control. Transmission". I erased the code and its now running as if nothing had happened, but I am pretty sure it'll come back. I've also hear before on this forum that bad Ignition Switches can lead to transmission problems. Could this be part of the problem?

Please advice. Thanks for your help.

1996GMCJimmy
11-15-2005, 11:34 AM
follow up....

Well, so far the check engine light has not come up again since I last took it to the local Autozone to retreive the code and erase the P1886 (3 days).

I dont want to be naive and think that the problem is fixed. I know that at some point it might come back and start all over again. But, could I have gotten this trouble code due to the recent Trans Oil Change I did to it that same day?

MT-2500
11-15-2005, 11:54 AM
Drive it and keep a eye on it.
If it returns you will have to check the 3-2 shift solenoid or wiring or circuit.
It is what controls 3-2 downshift.
New fluid or flushing may have stired up a speck of dirt or hard telling.
If it gives you any more problems post back.
MT

1996GMCJimmy
11-15-2005, 05:27 PM
Thanks for your reply. I've been definitely keeping an eye on it. I'll post back if it comes back.

Add your comment to this topic!