Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Leaded to Unleaded Help Needed !!

puente
11-13-2005, 11:56 AM
My old fiesta runs on leaded petrol but here in Spain, Europe they are doing away with it within the next year. There are now very few garages that sell it.
My queston is, what do I put in the tank when leaded is no more ?
Here they have told me various things from just fill it with unleaded to unleaded with an additive to retard the the distributor and put unleaded.
Could anyone please clarify for me which one. Won't the first option just eat the valve seats away ?
I know it's an old car but it's still got a few more years left and I don't want to mess it up prematurely by doing the wrong thing.

Fiesta April 1986 1.1L (Mk 2 Model)

regards
puente

cougarman
11-24-2005, 11:46 AM
Good chance your car already has hardened valves. When we switched in Canada years ago, it wasn't a problem for most cars. Check with your Ford dealer, If they don't know the answer, ask them to call Ford Engineering , or the Ford tech. hotline for the answer. If they won't do it, call Ford Motor Company yourself. I know they will have the answer.
Good Luck

fezzyman
02-27-2006, 03:07 PM
although i would go with what the other bloke wrote, if its any help to you, my mate has a mini, which runs on leaded, but because it is not common in england to find leaded petrol stations ( well, not near me anyway!) he just has a bottle with a lead additive which he puts in everytime he fills up with unleaded, he only puts in a small amout, but thats all that is needed.

matt

Add your comment to this topic!