Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 3.3 grand am stalling when hot

skid63
11-12-2005, 11:45 PM
I am currently having a problems with with my 92 grand am with a 3.3 engine stalling. It will start fine when cold and will continue as long as I don't stop. If I stop it will not start unless I wait several minutes, it then again will run fine for a few blocks or miles then it will stall out, and die. I will have to wait several minutes....agian, before restarting. I have changed the engine tempurature sensor, o2 sensor and mass air flow sensor/housing. Yet I still have a code 34, which seems not to clear. I have not checked fuel pressure at the fuel rail nor have I checked spark at the coil pack. is this my next step with a code 34 or does someone out there with more ideas. My brain is bruised from banging it against the wall trying to figure this one out. Please help!

rl0gin
11-13-2005, 12:02 AM
I had the same problem before. It turned out to be the crank sensor. After it would heat up and die, I could actually put water on the crank sensor and it would start back up again. Oh, by the way, when my crank sensor went bad, it didn't even throw a code.

Ridenour
11-13-2005, 01:02 PM
Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure what a code 34 is, but it sounds like a bad fuel pump could be one of your possible culprits.

Kristal
11-13-2005, 07:32 PM
I had the exact same problem....it was the crank shaft position sensor. Better get it fixed quick before you get stuck and can't get it started again! I think mine was like $35 at the local Advanced Auto. Also check the fuel pump, I did have to have that replaced at the same time as the sensor.

danGT
11-14-2005, 05:44 PM
had same problem my wiring was heating up and cut my power out until i burned out all electrical wiring in my engine.

tyger12
03-02-2006, 04:20 PM
i had the same problem too...but my problem was out of coolant

Add your comment to this topic!