Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

loud squeeling noise

Alkaline
11-12-2005, 11:39 PM
Ok, the car has been squeeling for about 3 months. Finally, the car died, and I replaced the battery and terminals, the alternator, and both the a/c and alternator belt. The alternator belt was completely shot. The car starts great and everything now, but the squeeling noise is still there. Even with brand new belts. It will go away at higher rpm's, but it definitely attracts attention.

any help would be appreciated.

oh... its a 94 tercel

unisoul
11-23-2005, 04:36 PM
The only thing that I can think of is that one of the following:

1. Your alternator belt is installed inside out and has no grip on the pullies. When it looses grip it squeals like that.
2. Your alternator belt is not tightened down to specified tension, which will also cause the belt to loose grip, and squeal. Check the belt to see if it seems loose.
3. Your alternator is installed incorrectly or the bracket that connects the alternator to the engine is bent, thus the alternator may be at a weird angle or not aligned, thus causing your alternator belt to loose grip and squeal like a pig. Check alternator for proper installation.

corning_d3
11-23-2005, 05:20 PM
Or, another accessory, such as the water pump, power sterring pump, or a idler pulley is going out.

klee
01-07-2006, 04:32 PM
Ok, the car has been squeeling for about 3 months. Finally, the car died, and I replaced the battery and terminals, the alternator, and both the a/c and alternator belt. The alternator belt was completely shot. The car starts great and everything now, but the squeeling noise is still there. Even with brand new belts. It will go away at higher rpm's, but it definitely attracts attention.

any help would be appreciated.

oh... its a 94 tercel

//////////////////////
How do you solve this problem? Can we share? I have same problem.
Old Karl THANKS.

corning_d3
01-09-2006, 11:31 AM
Well, if you have a serpenrine belt, the first thing to check is the belt tensioner. It can sqeal, and it can also not apply enough tension on the belt, causing it to sqeal

Add your comment to this topic!