Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

steering wheel radio controls

tommy00gt1
11-12-2005, 06:38 PM
Hi friends... Does anyone happen to know where I could find info or a tutorial to replace the steering wheel radio controls in my 2000 GT1?
I have been browsing everywhere, and I can't find any info..... I get nervous being so close to the wind bag in the car....I wouldn't want it to go off in my face, lol....
Many thanks, and have a great weekend!

Tommy

EDIT >>> Good gosh, man... I mean "air bag", lol....... Somebody might get the wrong idea and think my girlfriend is in the car, lol....

GTP Dad
11-13-2005, 05:48 AM
I don't blame you for being nervous about the air bag. You need to disable it before working on or near the steering wheel. You may have to take it to someone who services vehicles to have it disabled. Your best bet would be to purchase a manual or shop manual to give you the best description on how to change these out.

tommy00gt1
11-13-2005, 07:01 AM
Good morning, GTP... Yup, you're probably right there. I can't figure out if those buttons simply pop off, or if they are accessed only by removing the steering wheel center piece.
I have dirty contacts in those darn buttons... they only work intermittently; particularly the mute button. I have to keep on pressing that button for it to mute. Maybe I'll try a shot of contact cleaner or compressed air in a can; might be safer than trying to remove the buttons.
If I don't have luck there, then I guess perhaps the dealership might have to take care of it.
Many thanks for the reply.... have a great Sunday!

Tommy

Add your comment to this topic!