Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

oxygen sensors

brielly
11-12-2005, 06:14 PM
For those who have replaced theirs- how difficult was it? I was under the truck today and it looks like the two before the cat are going to be hard to get to especially since i don't have access to a lift. Any tips on removal/instllation would be appreciated.

rodeo02
11-12-2005, 06:34 PM
If you can change a sparkplug, you can r/r an oxygen sensor. I mail ordered an O2 sensor "socket" kit from oxygensensors.com. VERY handy kit as it gives you several options- depending on how the sensor is mounted. They will be difficult to loosen. The socket wrench took several blows with a big hammer to get an O2 sensor to break loose on my 2002 rodeo. It will take some more presuation if your rodeo is older.

G/luck
Joel

anthonyn
11-12-2005, 08:49 PM
For those who have replaced theirs- how difficult was it? I was under the truck today and it looks like the two before the cat are going to be hard to get to especially since i don't have access to a lift. Any tips on removal/instllation would be appreciated.

The 'how to' on a job like this is pretty obvious. But, the execution may be rather difficult depending on how 'stuck' the sensors are. I would go to autozone and borrow their oxygen sensor socket/wrench. Then at least try to see if you can loosen the sensors after spraying them with liquid wrench ahead of time. You may get lucky and be able to do it yourself. I gave up and took it to a shop and paid the guy to remove them. Even he broke a major sweat getting them off, and that's with the truck lifted over his head versus me on my back wresting with the wrench.

brielly
11-12-2005, 09:47 PM
What looks difficult is getting to the sensors, getting the socket on it then having enough leverage/room to move to actually break it free. It looks pretty tight under here.

rodeo02
11-13-2005, 10:07 AM
What year/engine/drivetrain? 3 of the 4 are not too bad on my 2002 3.2 4x4 auto. I think bank 1 sensor 1 is the toughest. Like I say, you may need a variety of sockets to get the job done. If you can source a 3 pc kit like this: https://www.automedicsupply.com/tools.php?PHPSESSID=a914d80e4ec163af6bb47f7ed882e6 1d# , and a long breaker bar, you will get the job done easier.

G/luck
Joel

gray1g
11-13-2005, 01:54 PM
do these sensors have a max life? I have a 98 with 111,xxx miles and they haven't been replaced as far as I know. Should i not worry about it since I don't get a check engine light?

Gizmo42
11-13-2005, 02:48 PM
Dont worry about them until you have a problem. It is possible for them to get weak and cause a problem without trigering a CEL (especially on OBDI systems) but you would know there is a problem.

One thing to add. Make sure you use anti seize compount on any new O2 sensors you put in. Will make them easier to take back out next time.

Add your comment to this topic!