Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Decal

xtremeTuner
11-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Hi guys, i'm amazed by all your decal works and wondering what printer type and decal u guys uses?? any guidance?? :confused:

g00eY
11-12-2005, 02:32 PM
welcome to AF!

sorry, i don't really have an answer to your question other than i THINK it's something like an ALPS printer and some decal paper or whatnot. you can also use what comes in the kits or buy aftermarket decals online.

blubaja
11-12-2005, 03:22 PM
Welcome to AF!

Vric
11-12-2005, 06:51 PM
Welcome.

The only printer that will give you acceptable result (I mean something that a real modeler will like, not people that think Testor are the top of the line stuff) is an ALPS printer. They are rare and expensive.

I guess for a newbie, the Testor and other sheets for ink-jet printer can be "fun", but once you will get more into this hobby, you will understand they give unacceptable result (beside for few sponsor decal)

malsheem
11-12-2005, 07:02 PM
The only printer that will give you acceptable result (I mean something that a real modeler will like, not people that think Testor are the top of the line stuff) is an ALPS printer. They are rare and expensive.

The ALPS printer is not your only option. You can get very good results with using a color laser jet printer. I print any custom decals I make on a high-end HP LaserJet that I have in my office at work. It works great, prints white decals. Only thing that it can't do (or at least I don't know) how is to get the metallic-colors like the ALPS has.

Vric
11-12-2005, 09:50 PM
Well Will, you will agree than your decal, if used on anything other than light color (white, light red, yellow etc..) are useless.

You can't print white, so it's impossible to get good result (ex: Red on a black car, or try a "Subaru" decal on Mica blue. Forget it)

I used Micromark sheet for few sponsor decal, which work fine, but that's all. Forget about big graphic or as I said anything to go over a dark base. When I tried them, I paid to make them print by professional laser printer, which was incredible quality, but always "transparent"

xtremeTuner
11-13-2005, 10:00 AM
wow.... you guys r great man.. thanks. Btw, anywhere online i can find some sponser decals??...

freakray
11-13-2005, 10:12 AM
anywhere online i can find some sponser decals??...

Welcome :wave:

That's a common question, I am sure a forum search will turn up plenty of answers :)

malsheem
11-13-2005, 01:05 PM
Small logos are the only decals I ever print, so I guess it's good enough from me. I don't build race cars, so complex decals aren't an issue. Any big custom decal job (large complex designs) , yes, definitely go with an ALPS printer. Just depends on the needs of your particular project, xtremetuner.

gionc
11-13-2005, 01:20 PM
Welcome.

I guess for a newbie, the Testor and other sheets for ink-jet printer can be "fun", but once you will get more into this hobby, you will understand they give unacceptable result (beside for few sponsor decal)

No one pretend here to take professional results by ink-jet printed decals (if yes we could sell:lol:): the topic in other thread was "how paper for IJ?" not "how is the best quality system" . Also depend to the printer: I have a 150$ printer who give "unaccettable result" and a 950$ printer who give me a lot of satisfaction:iceslolan. However I still ordering some custom sheets for my next projects where i need top quality on wide areas also with white, silver and gold (Playstation R8, amuse carbonR, martini sticker with gold) so I agree with the 2nd phrase:loser:

willimo
11-13-2005, 09:42 PM
:rolleyes:

I am finding a lot of advice around here frustrating as of late.

I have an Epson Stylus C66 Inkjet Printer that makes excellent quality decals.

This printer cost me less than $100, but due to it's photo-printing ability it can print with great quality. Yes, it does have limitations; I cannot print white or metallics, but it still works well for me. I can print alot of things, like simple graphics, stickers, and most importantly, license plates (!) with great success. I can also print engine labels, inspections stickers fuse box diagrams... a ton of things, and I don't need a $900 Alps printer that I can't service or find ink for.

I am not a "newb" modeler. My inkjet and Revell decal paper and bonding agent work for me. I think some folks around here need to eat some humble pie.

For those of you who don't beleive me, take a look at my "not serious modeler inkjet and Revell is top notch" decal work that's "fun" but I'll soon learn it's unnacceptable:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/willimo/lookatthischumps.jpg

Add your comment to this topic!