2001 Grand Prix SE starts, then dies in 2-3 seconds

falcon115
11-11-2005, 02:44 AM
I just bought a 2001 Pontiac GP SE 3.1 with 94K miles with some undercarriage/suspension damage that I am repairing. The car starts consistently and run for 2-3 seconds, then dies. No way to keep it running even if you try to give it more throttle - still dies. You can restart it immediately and the same thing will happen. Tried it multiple times over the last few days.

The previous owner said he had jumpstarted the car because battery was dead and left it running for 20 min to charge battery a couple of days prior to me purchasing it (this was after the accident). He was very upfront and honest in dealing with me and I believe that to be true. When I went to look at the car for the first time, he tried to start it and that's when the problem began. I have fully charged the battery.

No damaged fuel lines, gas guage shows full tank, no loose or damaged electrical connectors, fuel pump runs when key is turned on.

I haven't tested fuel pressure yet since I just got the car home today and don't have the pressure guage. Also wondering if this vehicle has the fuel pump resistor that many other posts are talking about...does the 3.1 have that? Any ideas would be appreciated.

GTP Dad
11-11-2005, 06:41 AM
It does not have a fuel pump resistor. There are several items I would check. First, fuel pressure is always a suspect in these cases. Second, the crank position sensor may have gone bad and resets when the engine dies allowing it to start but not run. Next I would check the throttle position sensor. It may be bad and not sending proper throttle positions to the computer. Finally, the ignition module may be bad. Any of the above may cause your problem you will need to do them one at a time. I would start with the fuel pressure.

david'sdad
11-12-2005, 12:34 PM
Are you sure this car doesn't have the special security keys for ignition switch? We bought used '01 this year, seller gave us one key, we made copies, copies would start car - but would shut off after a couple seconds. Only key(s) that work are marked "PK3 M" as they have the "chip" in them.

falcon115
11-13-2005, 12:23 PM
Are you sure this car doesn't have the special security keys for ignition switch? We bought used '01 this year, seller gave us one key, we made copies, copies would start car - but would shut off after a couple seconds. Only key(s) that work are marked "PK3 M" as they have the "chip" in them.

Thanks for the info. The seller did only give me one key - I asked him if he had any other ones and he said he didn't. The key says "ilco B92-P" on it and has a very small black head. Does that sound like the security key I need. I will contact the seller today and ask if he has any other ones again. Thanks again for the suggestion.

david'sdad
11-13-2005, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the info. The seller did only give me one key - I asked him if he had any other ones and he said he didn't. The key says "ilco B92-P" on it and has a very small black head. Does that sound like the security key I need. I will contact the seller today and ask if he has any other ones again. Thanks again for the suggestion.
No - The key I'm talking about has a black plastic head on it that says "GM", plus the markings I gave you before were stamped into the metal. Take your VIN number and go to a Pontiac dealer to see if this car has this feature. They'll want about $60 for one of those keys.

damuleman
11-15-2005, 08:58 AM
I recently had the same problem in my 2000. I had all kind of work done and the problem was a really simple one. In the trunk under the carpet is your fuel pump. The eletrical lines going into the fuel pump probably doesn't have a good connection. Expose the fuel pump, get someone to start for you when it starts to die, wiggle the connection, if that's the problem, you need to disconnect the wire, use something sharp and adjust the prongs on the harness to get a tight connection. After $800, thats all my problem was. Hope that is it...

falcon115
11-21-2005, 01:01 AM
Thanks to those of you who replied, what is strange is that I tried using the instructions I found on the internet http://www.lvsales.com/images/ilco/04%20Auto%20Truck.pdf to program a new key but wasn't able to follow them because the security light didn't do what the instructions said it should do. However, after giving up on that, I tried to start the car again and it started and ran just fine. Every time I start the car now, it runs just fine. Almost seems like it had something to do with the security key (it defininately has one) and my attempt to program the key to the car. I guess it could have been coincidence but time will tell. Thanks "david'sdad" for getting me on that track, and also thanks to "damuleman" for the info about the electrical connection to the fuel pump. I did disconnect and connect it several times just to make sure it is making a good connection but that was after it was already running properly. I'll post again if I have any additional problems with it but so far so good. Thanks again!

botihi
05-19-2007, 01:26 AM
Did you ever find the problem for sure. My 01 SE is doing the exact same thing on cold mornings. At noon it warms up enough outside and the car starts and runs great.
I just bought it a couple of weeks ago I hope things don't get worse.:screwy:

BNaylor
05-19-2007, 01:32 AM
Did you ever find the problem for sure. My 01 SE is doing the exact same thing on cold mornings. At noon it warms up enough outside and the car starts and runs great.
I just bought it a couple of weeks ago I hope things don't get worse.:screwy:

Welcome to AF.

Sorry but please check the date and do not resurrect old threads. I recommend starting a new post addressing your issue and just follow the guidelines below. Thread closed.

POSTING IN CLOSED OR OUTDATED THREADS:
If a thread has been closed, there is probably a logical reason for it. If you feel that the reason(s) for closure of the original thread are unjustified or wish further clarification feel free to contact any member of the moderating team. However, do not start a new thread about another closed thread.

Please avoid posting or voting in outdated threads. It merely clutters up the message board and makes it more difficult for fellow members to sort through the vast amount of information contained on the boards. If you have new and important information to add regarding a past discussion, feel free to start a new thread and if need be, add a link to the original thread.

Add your comment to this topic!