Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Listening to the radio...

TuBlaz
11-10-2005, 11:38 PM
In all my previous vehicles I could listen to the radio without the car running. However, on my "new to me" TB I can't turn the key back (meaning to the auxillary position). If I turn the key forwad then the battery light is on. I know that's wrong. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong? Or perhaps I was given a valet key which usually doesn't allow you all the functions of the standard/normal key. However, if this is a valet key, I don't know why I'm able to lock and unlock the glove compartment, which usually isn't an option with a valey key. Any help on clearing this up is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-TuBlaz

balboasdelight
11-11-2005, 10:04 AM
on my "new to me" TB I can't turn the key back (meaning to the auxillary position).

The AUX position is there, you just don't go back (from OFF) to get to it, you go forward. The order is:

OFF - AUX - RUN - START

where START is a momentary contact and not a key position. You and I grew up driving cars with the order:

AUX - OFF - RUN - START

I don't know why they changed that.

Another thing that's different is that START used to actually engage the starter; you had to hold it in that position while the starter cranked, releasing the key to the RUN position only after the engine was running. No so anymore. START is just a momentary switch to signal to the computer "start the engine," which it proceeds to do by itself. Try this: very briefly turn the key to START and release it long before the engine starts. It will keep cranking until it starts. Kind of wierd until you get used to it. Also, anytime the engine is running, you can jam the key to START without that horrible grinding noise (and concomitant horrible starter wear) -- the computer just ignores the input.

Add your comment to this topic!