Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1991 Camry Starting Problem

91toyotacamryv6le
11-10-2005, 10:04 PM
Hello Everyone,

I have a 1991 Toyota Camry and every once in a while, the engine won't start. When I turn the key, there's a 'thump' sound from under the hood, the instrument panel and clock dim (like they're supposed to), but then nothing happens. It eventually starts, but weakly and it can also be jump started. The battery is new. So yeah, would anybody know what the problem would be?

csaxon
11-11-2005, 09:08 AM
Did you have these problems before you changed the battery?

Double check your battery terminals and the body grounding points for looseness and corrosion. Clean them up anyway to make sure they make good contact and are secure.

Your battery may not be getting fully charged by the alternator or your new battery may be defective.

91toyotacamryv6le
11-13-2005, 03:41 AM
Yeah, it was happening before I replaced the battery. Actually, the problems were the reason I replaced the battery, but I guess that wasn't the problem.

Brian R.
11-13-2005, 06:30 AM
Welcome to the AF!

Once you have the connections clean and tight, and if that didn't solve the problem, have someone check the current draw by the starter. Your starter may be defective and pulling alot of amps.

Also, check the condition of the cables from the battery. They can corrode and be pretty useless - but look good from the outside.

When you have it running, check the voltage of the positive battery connection (or alternator output) to ground. Anything less than 13.5 or more than 15 volts is bad.

AccordCodger
11-13-2005, 11:57 AM
the instrument panel and clock dim (like they're supposed to)
Well - not really. At least, only slightly when everything is working the way it should. If they dim MUCH, I'd agree with csaxon's advice.

pbrooks259
11-16-2005, 01:49 PM
If you have a moment check out the following; it might be a little help or more:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbu...ad.php?t=479067

pbrooks259
11-21-2005, 10:10 PM
I apologize, 91 Camry wouldn't start this evening; so, apparently, "alternator not charging" is not the problem, as suggested in above link. As noted elsewhere, must be starter or starter solenoid or wiring thereof. I'm returning my rebuilt starter; had installed for 2+ mos. Non-start status returned about 2-3 wks. after rebuilt starter installed. Maybe I should buy new starter????

lsj1655
11-30-2005, 10:26 PM
good idea

docksider
12-02-2005, 11:50 AM
Yeah, it was happening before I replaced the battery. Actually, the problems were the reason I replaced the battery, but I guess that wasn't the problem.
had the same issue with my 90 v6/everything looks normal, did the battery swap thing too/learned from a forum (poss this one) that it could be your nuetral start switch///how to check it?/beats me/haven't had the problem in a while/but one good thing about it is: if I let mine set for awhile it starts right up (not a good thing when you're in a hurry, though)//good luck//

pbrooks259
03-08-2006, 03:02 PM
I believe herein lies the answer--bad, pitted, or worn out solenoid contacts:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml

I used contacts A&B on my 91 Camry 2.5L v6--2FVZE, is it?, but maybe should've used A&D--D seems more concentric with the plunger; both are 22mm wide. I just sanded the center round copper contact around the plunger with the fine side of a finger nail file, probably could have stood to have been a bit finer. But, mine seems to not suffer from this disease anymore.

As the site states, I wouldn't install a rebuilt starter/solenoid. I did this twice, and it ended up doing the same thing--"1 click" and no start. Maybe it's inferior contacts, not sure.

Brian R.
03-08-2006, 03:50 PM
Contact problems are all or nothing. They either give a click and nothing or start strong (if you have a strong battery). A weak start is not attributable to contacts.

Add your comment to this topic!