Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Manual vs. Auto...?

JLad10687
11-10-2005, 04:07 PM
I've tried searching these threads b/c I figured this has been answered but I can't find it. I dont understand why a manual is better at drifting then a automatic. Maybe it's because I dont understand the true way to drift. Can someone help me out?

gigglesnirt
11-10-2005, 04:15 PM
well basically in most cases your engine will be revving high, in an automatic the computer will tell it to shift up, killing your rpms and basically you'll gain grip again, in manual you'll control this since you are that computer basically. other reasons too of course, i would say this might be the main one though, but also no cluitch kicking.

JLad10687
11-10-2005, 05:13 PM
Thanks, Im just trying to grasp the idea of drifting. I have no problem driving a manaul, i was just unsure. I'm trying to decide whether I wanna buy a 240SX and build it for drifting, a wrangler/blazer k5 for offroading, or a 1970 charger for restoring.

AMC_DRIFTER
12-08-2005, 03:08 PM
I try to drift with an automatic, it only works with an older auto. new cars automaticaly shift up, even if you have 1st or 2nd selected. :disappoin

RaidenKing
12-14-2005, 11:09 PM
Oh man, I have a few friends, one with a 91 auto convertible s13 and one with an auto 97 s14. If you keep it in 2nd you'll be fine and usually able to execute pretty basic drifts. Automatic isn't bad for learning I guess, that way you can concentrate more on your angle and entry than when to downshift, upshift or clutch kick in a session.
Basically, there is only so much potential to squeeze out of the automatic for drifting, after you reach the max of that potential in your skill its time for the 5speed swap.

gigglesnirt
12-15-2005, 01:08 AM
yea but i think if you want to try you might as well sstart out ready, plus you have to learn stickshift someday, i can see it working i mean i am able to slide even the crown victoria but its shitty, i would just go for manual from the start make it easy on yourself, because if you ever did learn entry, angle etc etc, then going to manual you would be just that much more fucked up when trying. if you started on manual you would be set from the start and then work on your angle and entry and whatever else.

drftk1d
12-15-2005, 02:28 PM
automatics blow, thats like the first rule of cars

(except when were talking daily driving and drag racing)

you cant clutch kick with autos, and thats the best way to get underpowered cars to drift.

not only that, but its just more fun

Add your comment to this topic!