Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Where did my lights go?

dtl379
11-10-2005, 03:41 PM
Hi,

I have a 97 Grand AM GT and recently tried to put a cheap after market stereo in it. After I got the radio in, I no longer had dash backlights or interior lights. I went through and have changed out the fuses, I found 2 blown. Now weverything works again exept the dash lights. I placed the old stereo back in it, and it lights up fine.

I have replaced the fuses and checked all the others. Also, the dimmer switch does not dim the radio lights, but it does turn on the dome light. I have break lights, all my idiot lights, headlights ect. Everything except the dash, heat/ac control, and power lock button (on driver's door) works like it should. WTF- I know I was stupid to not disconnect the battery before this because I think I fried something, but what? Anyone know where to get schematics for this car?

xeroinfinity
11-10-2005, 06:32 PM
Hi,

I have a 97 Grand AM GT and recently tried to put a cheap after market stereo in it. After I got the radio in, I no longer had dash backlights or interior lights. I went through and have changed out the fuses, I found 2 blown. Now weverything works again exept the dash lights. I placed the old stereo back in it, and it lights up fine.

I have replaced the fuses and checked all the others. Also, the dimmer switch does not dim the radio lights, but it does turn on the dome light. I have break lights, all my idiot lights, headlights ect. Everything except the dash, heat/ac control, and power lock button (on driver's door) works like it should. WTF- I know I was stupid to not disconnect the battery before this because I think I fried something, but what? Anyone know where to get schematics for this car?

Hey dtl379 , does sound like something might have got toasted. I know one or two wires in the harness act as a ground when the lights are off, but as soon as you turn them on the wire goes hot. Its the wire that turns on the lamp in the stereo receiver.

Heres a link that might help you figure it out. The Zone (http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/09/d4/90/0900823d8009d490.jsp)
This covers all models up to 98', save the link, it may come in handy down the road for other things. Good Luck

Add your comment to this topic!