Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

waterpump???

jeepbebroke
11-10-2005, 12:57 PM
Hello all -
I'm new to this forum, I need some help please.

My 92 acclaim is a 3.0 ltr w/ 122.000+mi just started leaking radiator fluid. I am assuming the leak is coming from water pump, but I can't find the water pump. (Fluid is dripping from bottom of engine on the passenger side) I have located the ac compressor, alt, & ps pump. I have been put under the impression that the wp is behind the timing belt cover. Is this correct?
Has anyone here replaced the water pump on this engine?
Is this a task that myself (midrange backyard mechanic) can perform?
Any tips?

Keith

jeepbebroke
11-10-2005, 07:32 PM
I purchased an haynes manual - boy this water pump replacement is gonna be a P.I.T.A.

theFREAKnasty82
11-10-2005, 10:27 PM
yes, the water pump is located inside the timing belt cover. Get that replaced quickly, if not, your timing belt will break and your engine is an interference engine. I know from first hand experience b/c I used to have a '92 Dodge Spirit, sister car to the Acclaim, and the exact same thing happened to me on a cold January morning in '03. You can do it by yourself, what you'll have to do is remove all the drive accessories except for the alternator, the front motor mount attached to the body has to go, and if you have access to an impact gun, it'll really come in handy for taking off the center nut that holds the vibration damper on. While you are replacing your water pump, if you have already done so, go ahead and replace your water pump, cam oil seals, crank oil seals, and timing belt tensioner. My belt broke due to three main factors, age, coolant leakage and a bad tensioner. Get yourself a manual on how to replace the belt, you can do it yourself in your backyard in about 5 to 6 hours. The biggest thing that'll hold you up is trying to get the tension on the timing belt correctly. If you don't have the proper tension, it'll skip time and you're back at square one.

Add your comment to this topic!