Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2005 Tacoma Rough Shifting from 1st to 2nd

mytacoma
11-09-2005, 08:08 PM
Can anyone tell me if this is normal?... I just bought a 2.7L 5-speed 2005 access cab. When shifting from 1st to 2nd I hear a slight mechanical noise from the front when the clutch disengages and I often feel the gears engaging (as though, if I forced the shifting, I may grind the gears). I understand the shifting is a bit like stirring porridge but this resistance I feel only from 1st to 2nd does not seem right. I've had 4 or 5-speed vehicles before and this is the only time I've experienced this?

Thanks for any help...

Svenno

Jimbeau
11-13-2005, 12:21 PM
I have the same truck. I find shifitng rough in general. It's the first standard transmission I've owned in about 20 years. Last one was a 76 toyota carola 4cyl 5spd, and it shifted a whole lot smoother than my tacoma. I've gotten used to it, and am assuming its shifting normally. It's not bad, just certainly smooth. Jim

mytacoma
11-13-2005, 08:53 PM
All other shifting is fine, it's just from 1st to 2nd. It feels very strange given that I can feel in the stick, the gears turning through three stages, when I 'm shifting. Is this familiar to you? I've heard the shifting is like stirring porridge but why it seems so much rougher form 1st to 2nd I 'm not sure. I've owned 4 or 5 5-speeds in the past and I've never experienced this. I thought it would "go away" after the break in but I'm over 1000 miles and I still find myself holding back when I shift out of concern that I may damage the tranny. I'm going to take it in to the dealer to get it checked out...

Nstyle29
11-30-2005, 06:42 PM
I have the same deal but what i noticed is that it does it bad if it is cold, but once warm it is fine.

flansp
12-02-2005, 11:37 AM
All other shifting is fine, it's just from 1st to 2nd. It feels very strange given that I can feel in the stick, the gears turning through three stages, when I 'm shifting. Is this familiar to you? I've heard the shifting is like stirring porridge but why it seems so much rougher form 1st to 2nd I 'm not sure. I've owned 4 or 5 5-speeds in the past and I've never experienced this. I thought it would "go away" after the break in but I'm over 1000 miles and I still find myself holding back when I shift out of concern that I may damage the tranny. I'm going to take it in to the dealer to get it checked out...

I have the same issue and it will be addressed when I bring the truck back for slipping out of 4th gear. Please post you findings with the dealer after you have it checked out.

Thanks,
Paul

Add your comment to this topic!